Which diary sheep breed has the best fibre?

islandgal99

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am wondering which dairy sheep breed, or cross, has the best fibre. I'm planning on purchasing my first sheep next year and am still trying to figure out which way to go.

Cheers

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There is no overall "best" fiber. It depends on what you want to use it for. Most dairy breeds, however, have really poor wool because they are bred for one thing only: milk. Usually no regard to fiber quality is used in the selection process.

So what do you want the fiber for? Fine wool can be used for next-to-skin garments and long wool is usually used for carpets or other non-next-to-skin garments. Medium wool is primarily used as "stuffing" for quilts, blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, etc because it's not really good for much. Hand spinners prefer long wool because it's easier to spin, but commercial processors prefer fine wool (and will pay for it) because it can be used for wool socks, wool yarns, etc and they can command a pretty penny for it.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Dorsets are dual purpose. They produce a pretty nice fiber and have been used as dairy sheep historically.

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
what about Icelandics? They're a tri-purpose breed. I have some rovings and they're pretty nice. I've also felt it raw...nice.

What about Finnish? Are they a tri-purpose too?

I would meet and talk with local breeders. Since you'd probably want to buy your sheep from local people anyways...then you can see first-hand the quality of the milk production and fleeces from their sheep. Does anyone have the link for the sheep breed selctor?

http://www.selectsmart.com/plus/select.php?url=sheepbreed

This was posted by SheepGirl in the sheep section. Maybe this can help? I found it really helpful!