Which is better?

SayYesToGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi I'm was thinking of adding full size goat to my herd of only Nigerian dwarfs. I plan to breed mini Nubian or Oberhasli. That leads me to my question which is better Nubian or Oberhasli? I like the nigerian dwarf milk I have and want to have about the same tasting milk. I'm thinking the Nubian would be better because of this? What do think? Any one have both? Which one did you like better? I plan to get a registered one and kids would be registered under the MDGA. I have Nubian breeders in mind and heaven's hollow is close enough for me to pick up for a Oberhasli.
Sorry for all the question. Thank you for any help you can give.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dairy preference is Saanen, then Nubian. I have both and some of my best are a cross of those two. I have had mini nubs -- buck was reg mini but, way big. The 2 mini nub does were GREAT moms...mine had trips every time and took care of all of them!

I no longer keep any mini but experience was good.

SayYesToGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I hear Saanen milk tasted goaty is that ture? I also hear that nubian milk tasted the most like nigerian dwarf. I want to add a big goat for some extra boost of milk but don't want more than one full size goats as nigerian are my main goal right now.

SayYesToGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want to show, milk test, LA, so no mixes for me. I've heard that mini Nubian give a lot of milk but are just as small as NG so I thought they would be a good side breed.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saanen has great milk and lots of it. Nubian does have a slightly higher fat ratio than saanen but the saanen generally produces more and usually a longer lactation. Overseas dairies are normally Saanen based due to output.

No off tasting milk here.

SayYesToGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok thanks I will think about Saanens as well then. I don't know any Saanen breeders, do you know of any? I'm fine with paying more if it from a great breeder.

Last edited: