Which scale would you buy?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Currently I have sheep. No scale yet, but I will definitely be getting one when I get my Katahdins (which I hope is soon!). I found this company and three size options for scales on another thread where we were talking about scales... http://www.palletscales.net/ps250_hog_sheep_scale.htm (can't remember the thread, but I bookmarked the link to this company). I am REALLY liking the prices on these compared to the prices of scales at the feed store. Plus it's free shipping!

My question is, what size would you recommend? I will definitely be putting sheep on this scale. I do want to get hogs in the future (probably two Yorkshire gilts and breed them to a Duroc or Hamp boar and then eat/sell the babies when they get big enough), so I do want to get a scale that can easily be used for hogs. This is a sheep AND hog scale, but I was wondering which size would you recommend for using it for both? Obviously bigger is better, but there is a $40 difference between the two larger sizes and the smaller size. However, I wouldn't mind paying an additional $40 for the largest scale if I need to.

Just trying to plan ahead...I love to plan out every single little detail. :)

ShadyAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I like the stainless steel vs the painted steel. Even though it is under cover thought it would hold up longer. Can't remember if we have the 660 or 661 but think it is the first. Very little size difference in those 2 models. I have had adult ram in there as well as small lambs. Don't have hogs, but some of those can be pretty long...?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would buy the largest size you can afford. Then there is no question about what you can or can't weigh.