White goo.....

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Gracie had some white goo coming out of her area tonight, it is white with a slimy thicky consistancy. like yougurt is this what it looks like normally, the mucus plug?
I am soo excited but really nervous, When they are having babies does it come out over a few weeks days ect? Ohh amd I want to know if this color of goo comes out if they are in heat?
Thanks

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
white goop can be:

cervical mucus plug - lost between 12 hrs and 4 weeks before kidding (common)
goop during heat (rare)
semen dripping after she has been bred (common)

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As for goo, when it goes clearish with a tinge of yellow....get your gloves, towels, and iodine ready. :D

Do you know how to check their ligaments? That's been the most helpful to us in terms of labor lead-time.. We pretty much know to stick close to the house and visit the barn really frequently when someone softens up.

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok this is what the deal is.
She keeps smelling my new doeling thats about 11 weeks now. she smells her , nudges her butt and then trys to mount her .I know that seems like she's in heat.
I was wondering about the heat process.Thanks username taken, I wondered if they leak a different color when in labor,heat ect...
Soo it is rare for them to leak the white goo during heat?
thanks, If shes in heat I want to breed her asap. She supposedly lost babies in jan or feb or march of this year.
As for the ligements, her butt looks the same I have been looking EVERDAY! I touched her butt bone yesterday and to tell ya it looks like its in place. her udder is a little puffy but not like anything I have seen on here of all the mommas to be. But if she isn't a dairy goat then do pygmy goats get a big udder right before to?
Back to researching I guess :barnie
ohh yah I forgot to say, she is not wanting to eat her hay or minerals.. That worries me alittle bit.
Alfafa pellets are ok to give her and the 11 week old baby right. they are getting out and walked everyday to browse , an this be why shes not very interested in the hay?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think I'm confused.. Are we sure she's bred, or is that what we're trying to figure out?

The pushing/mounting toward the 'new' 11 week old doe could possibly be a dominance thing. May not mean much. Or, it could be a heat, if she's not bred.. I've not personally seen a bred doe try to mount, but their hormones can go wacky enough that I certainly wouldn't doubt that either.

As others have said, there are also multiple reasons why she could have a white discharge..

All in all, the bad news is that there's just not much of diagnostic value here...nothing concrete to go on. The good news is that I can't think of anything inherently bad to associate with either the mounting or the white goo.. Brown, bloody, and/or smelly goo -- then I'd be concerned.

If an ultrasound isn't totally out of the question, I'd recommend it. Reason being, if she is indeed heavy bred, you'll at least want to know that so you can keep an eye out for things like pregnancy toxemia, etc -- as unlikely as they may be..

Keep us posted.

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry if I am confusing:)
She has an appointment tom, with the Doc.
I am done with this guessing game. She is possibly bred she was in with her buck and maybe wether when I got her.
I was confused about the mounting thing because i know about the dominance and I saw about the being in heat so I was wanting to know if Gracie was mounting the new doe because maybe the new doe was going into heat soon?
Anyways this is just to stressful for me and so I will update tom with the good or bad news from the Doc. I am hoping for babies:fl

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if her udder is puffy and she was bred 4 months ago, I'd hazard a guess its just her plug

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok so tonight I went over to where my buck is (they cannot see each other) don't know if it matters but anyways and I rubbed him down with a towel to get his scent all over it, went home and let her sniff and nothin..... I was told if she's in heat she would go all crazy and get all excited, right?? she didn't even bother with a second sniff she ate the raspberries instead.
well hopefully it is her plug and the vet will say get ready to be a new momma!
Question about that"testing method" to see if shes in heat will it matter if i didn't rub under his belly? you know where the goods are? I don't know how picky the does are?Sorry but i had to ask to see if I did it right.:lol:

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I cant tell you, because I've never tried that test :/ But if bucky boy is easy to handle, I would put him on a lead and walk him up and down her fenceline and see what she does

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All you have to do is rub down the beard and top of the head. You can rub down the fornt legs too. There are no scent glands near the pubic area so don't even bother with that. If you can't smell the buck though, she may not either. Normally you should be able to smell the buck from at least 5 feet away. If you can then you can make a rub cloth. Once you make it put it in a ziplock immediately and keep it away from the does until you plan to use it.

Chris (hoping she is pregnant) (I love kids)