White Mountains Ranch Journal: REQUESTED TO CLOSE THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I have a yearling that we bred on March 11th. I was almost POSITIVE she was pregnant. She was getting bigger and bigger and I was even taping her weight and it was going up, and then it seems like overnight she was skinny again. I'm 100% sure I felt something move on her right side and now nothing. She hasn't developed an udder yet either and only 1 month to go so I think I've given up hope that she settled. :hit Darn. I really wanted the experience of having one goat give birth before I have to go and do all of them at once! :hide

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
ILuvSheep said:
I have Jumbo brown coturnix. :)
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/6210_dsc07083.jpg

I used to breed tropical fish a long time ago, my favorites are Killifish and Angelfish, but right now all I have are guppies in a very heavily planted tank. :)
Do jumbos have a different color then normal sized? And do the sexes have different coloring? Just wondering cause i have coturnix and am trying to learn. Oh and has the broodiness really been bred out? :/

At the goat ear - **Hugs** I read the thread

About moving - :hugs You'll work it through, with all the stuff you manage already (saw your website), you and your clones with do juuust fine ;)

Jumbos have the same color as regular coturnix. I breed the standard brown called pharoah as those are the easiest to sex. The boys have a rusty colored chest and neck and the girls have spots on theirs. Pretty easy to tell them apart once you see them. The whites and most other colors are much harder to tell. Also the boys are the only ones that "crow"... make the loud BRRRRRRR noise. And yeah I'm pretty sure most all the broodiness has been bred out, they are soooooo far and few between it would be very hard to find one that goes broody.

LoL @ clones... like the movie multiplicity! LOL!
Hm, so either i have 3 boys and 1 girl, or I dont have pharoahs >.< wish I knew how to tell !! Bleh
Hm, thats what I thought cause on a BYC thread someone had a cortinux ho broody and everyone was like "OMG OMG OMG!!!" xD ,all well, Im gonna buy an incubator where i can have like 5 goose eggs or 200 quail eggs or 20 chicken egs, Lol

LOl

Sorry to hear your girl isnt bred :/

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If yours are the same color as mine in the picture then yes you have pharoahs. :D
Heres a pic --->
LL
This one is the sweetest andmy fav, and ten we have 3 more who look like this -->
LL

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The one on top is a Tibetan, and the one on the bottom looks to be a Pharaoh. Tibetans can not be feather sexed.

Are you planning on selling the offsring or the eggs?

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The one on top is a Tibetan, and the one on the bottom looks to be a Pharaoh. Tibetans can not be feather sexed.

Are you planning on selling the offsring or the eggs?
Well once we have a good flock going we might sell the eggs (haha put like 20 in a dozen egg carton xD) and we may sell the chicks (gonna get a bator), but they would prolly be sold as mixed since we dont really know if their pure, or just say 'cortunix quail for sale -> mixed colors' or something like that. There aren't many breeders in AK so people have to settle for the thing they can get closet :lol: Why do you ask?

Since you said males have a rusty chest, would that one be a female or male or is it too early to tell? Their only a week or so old

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just curious. I would sell them as "mixed colors". :)

Too early to tell on them, usually a few weeks and you can get a good idea. :cool:

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just curious. I would sell them as "mixed colors". :)

Too early to tell on them, usually a few weeks and you can get a good idea. :cool:
Ah, i see, sounds like me lol. Yup, mixed colors sound good unless I get some more pharohs (or tibetans ;) ) and might seperate them.

Ah, okay, thanks anywho :) anything behavioral I should look for? I remember when we had japanese bantams the roo (tho at the time we thought it was a pullet) would lead his 2 hens around, lol

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well the males will crow and try to mate and the females will lay eggs. That's about the only difference. :p
Lol !!!

Aw, so they do crow?

Status
Not open for further replies.