Who do I keep?

Uberfarm

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm trying to breed lynx, chocolate, and blue rex. I have only been able to find one good chocolate buck, the doe I had passed away and I had to travel for them and won't be doing that again anytime soon. With no chocolate doe I bred him to my 2 black does. both had litters of black and blue. My chocolate is out of a blue doe and chocolate buck and he has just blue and chocolate in his ped. The does are almost all black in ped with blue and one opal for dilutes way back. I'm going to have to breed him back to the kits or the kits to each other because I want to get chocolates. Can I get chocolates out of the blues from this or do I need to keep the blacks for this? Thanks in advance for the help.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Buck - aabbC_DdE_ (chocolate)
Doe - aaB_C_DdE_ (black)

Offspring - aaBbC_D_E_ (black)
aaBbC_ddE_ (blue)

If you breed blue offspring to blue offspring, you can get blue and lilac, but you can't get black or chocolate. You have a chance of getting black, blue, chocolate, and lilac if you breed this buck to pretty much any of his offspring. It's possible that some of the blacks don't have even one copy of dilute (d), if they don't, they can't have blues or lilacs. Whether blue or black, they all got a copy of chocolate (b) from their sire, so if bred back to their sire, you have at least a chance of getting chocolate in the litter.

(Though be warned, I believe my rabbits have a slogan: "How can we drive her crazy today?" One of their favorite rules for driving me crazy is that, if there's some color that I am hoping to get from a breeding, it will be the last one I see, even if I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that the genetics are there.):he

Uberfarm

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll for sure be keeping the blues then. And hopefully they give me anything other than black rabbits!

Latest posts