1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay Baler - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Who else?

Discussion in 'Showing Your Herd' started by Mother Hen, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Jun 12, 2017
    Mother Hen

Mother Hen Loving the herd life

IMG_20170519_101102.jpg Those are the 4 beef steers of my Uncle's. They are grass fed and raised but they do get grain every other day. My question is whoever else raises cows for beef that are grass fed how often do you give them grain and do the steers Bellow even when it's not grain day in the hopes of getting grain.

2. Jun 12, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

No set schedule to give mine some cubes, just whenever I think they need a boost or when I need to look at them all up close.
    The bellowing..
    It's usually visual stimuli. They always bellow if they see me going where the feed is or in winter going to the hay barn on the tractor, or see me near a gate, whether walking or on a tractor or in my truck. They equate people with feed or movement to new grass.

3. Jun 12, 2017
    Mother Hen

Oh! I'm glad I don't give in even though right now I'm attempting to give them grain every other day ( Mon, Wed, Fri) and keeping it like that instead of one week it's Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun then the following week it's Tues, Thurs, Sat or is that better so it appears that they aren't in a schedule plus I normally give them grain between 6:45-7:30am on "treat day". I really don't vary away from the time (Mon might be at 6:45, Wed might be at 7:00, Fri might be at 7:15 and on Sun might be 7:30) it goes for the weeks of Tues, Thurs and Sat.
    Yes, as you can tell I like keeping to a schedule or a routine which is good for me to have.

4. Jun 12, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I've had cows before, although I am no cow expert by any means. Some were so tame that they would run to me to see if I had anything to eat. If I walked to the barn, they all started bellowing, expecting feed. I've even driven my truck down a road and had cows in a pasture follow the truck along the fence, probably because their owner had a similar truck.

5. Jun 12, 2017
    Mother Hen

These steers mostly bellow when I go outside seeing how I'm the one who tends to them.

6. Jun 12, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Doesn't it feel nice to be loved......even though it is the feed bucket that makes you look so good!