Who else?

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20170519_101102.jpg
Those are the 4 beef steers of my Uncle's. They are grass fed and raised but they do get grain every other day. My question is whoever else raises cows for beef that are grass fed how often do you give them grain and do the steers Bellow even when it's not grain day in the hopes of getting grain.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
No set schedule to give mine some cubes, just whenever I think they need a boost or when I need to look at them all up close.
The bellowing..
It's usually visual stimuli. They always bellow if they see me going where the feed is or in winter going to the hay barn on the tractor, or see me near a gate, whether walking or on a tractor or in my truck. They equate people with feed or movement to new grass.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh! I'm glad I don't give in even though right now I'm attempting to give them grain every other day ( Mon, Wed, Fri) and keeping it like that instead of one week it's Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun then the following week it's Tues, Thurs, Sat or is that better so it appears that they aren't in a schedule plus I normally give them grain between 6:45-7:30am on "treat day". I really don't vary away from the time (Mon might be at 6:45, Wed might be at 7:00, Fri might be at 7:15 and on Sun might be 7:30) it goes for the weeks of Tues, Thurs and Sat.
Yes, as you can tell I like keeping to a schedule or a routine which is good for me to have.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've had cows before, although I am no cow expert by any means. Some were so tame that they would run to me to see if I had anything to eat. If I walked to the barn, they all started bellowing, expecting feed. I've even driven my truck down a road and had cows in a pasture follow the truck along the fence, probably because their owner had a similar truck.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
These steers mostly bellow when I go outside seeing how I'm the one who tends to them.