Who has the Grossest Chickens?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some of mine are pretty ugly
Gordon.jpg

Right now, though, I'm talking about what they will eat. I keep sheep. Unfortunately they occasionally get maggots......the chickens love them.

Worse still. I keep sheep. Unfortunately they get tapeworms......chickens eat the tapeworm segments from their poo.

I don't eat chickens (wonder why?)......I don't like eggs (wonder why?).

Anyway here's two examples of how gross my chickens are. Can you beat them?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, if people only knew what chickens eat they'd probably not ever eat an egg!!! It's amazing what they can turn these tidbits into! Mine regularly roam the horse & goat pastures, scratching manure piles & eating. It's gross but it's protein for them...bugs, worms, crickets, tadpoles, etc. Keeps flies down, too. They are amazing animals.

That chicken you' are holding -- wow, that's one ugly bird :lol::hugs

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine have eaten fresh entrails that some bird of prey dropped in their run... yum!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
That chicken you' are holding -- wow, that's one ugly bird :lol::hugs
Now,now, Mini Horses, don't upset Gordon's feelings. Not only is he 50% Naked Neck/50% Brahma, but he has the slow-feathering gene and permanently sports 'designer stubble'. But, boy, is he a fast runner......

Fresh guts have to be slightly better than decomposing guts, I guess, luvmypets....but pretty gross nonetheless.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My chickens are cannibals. They will eat chicken guts when I butcher chickens. So I keep them in their coop and toss the guts to the dogs. If a chicken dies in the coop and I don't find it for several hours, they will peck the dead chicken's vent out, eating their previous coop-mate.

I wouldn't want to have a heart attack or pass out for any reason inside a chicken coop. Ha! How would like to eat those chickens or eggs?

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My bantam chickens would love to live off maggots. They destroy my compost pile and search them out. Fresh feed to the right, but would still rather tear my compost apart to eat the maggots.
They also like fried/grilled/raw chicken....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not only is he 50% Naked Neck/50% Brahma, but he has the slow-feathering gene and permanently sports 'designer stubble'. But, boy, is he a fast runner......

That must explain his "red turtleneck/hoodie" look. That, combines with the splotchy feathering is quite the fashion statement!!! :lol: :clap Red is my favorite color! Really does make him "special" :D

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Now,now, Mini Horses, don't upset Gordon's feelings. Not only is he 50% Naked Neck/50% Brahma, but he has the slow-feathering gene and permanently sports 'designer stubble'. But, boy, is he a fast runner.
Could we see more pictures of him?? He is quite unique

Latest posts