1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Who is feeding organically?

Discussion in 'Organic Husbandry - Goats' started by horseymama2, May 6, 2018.

1. May 6, 2018
    horseymama2

horseymama2 Ridin' The Range

Good morning? I see there is very little activity on this organic goat forum. Why is that? I would like to be purely GMO free, but it is very difficult where I live. I would love to hear what organics/ gmo free products others are using and where you are finding them. Thanks everyone.

2. May 6, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member

3. May 6, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

What kind of livestock? Cattle, goats, sheep?

We revisit this often, unfortunately many of the feeds we find (for goats) are so out of balance that it is not worth the risk. Calcium phosphorus ratios badly out of balance, little copper etc and lack of consistent quality ...add to that over pricing just hasn't been worth it. :(

4. May 6, 2018
    horseymama2

horseymama2 Ridin' The Range

I am specifically looking for goat food. I can get organic chicken feed easily, but nothing else. My chickens free range, so they don't go through to much feed. I have nice pasture with a variety of legumes, grasses and weeds. But does in milk often need more, especially during winter. I was hoping someone out there would of sources in the Midwest.

5. May 6, 2018
    Alaskan

Alaskan True BYH Addict

I can't afford fancy organic feed... and there is none available where I live anyway.

My goats have done alright on minimal store bought feed, even with milking.

They get good local hay. Most hay fields around here don't use any herbicides. .. some use fertilizers and some don't. The fertilized hay is better quality, but I have never asked what kinds they use.

Anyway. ... the hay is my base feed.

Then mid summer I gather and dry as much fireweed and aspen as possible. Those act as suppliments all winter and are great nutrition.

I gather all of the pumpkins possible at the pumpkin smash after Halloween (yeah, store bought pumpkins... so I am sure chemicals... but no GMOs) That all freezes and is fed throughout the winter.

I do give minerals... not sure how to make those organic. :hu

And then they actually only get a little locally (well... locally as in Alaska) made milk goat pellets. The pellets are almost all Alaska products... and no corn since that can't grow in state.

Sooooooo

I am pretty sure mine are GMO free, and low chemical, but not no chemical.

6. May 18, 2018
    BoboFarm

BoboFarm Loving the herd life

Look to see what mill your chicken feed comes from and ask if they have organic goat feed. You can either ask the feed store or try to contact the mill directly.