Who' sdoing it

D1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
who all is digging into the hives? I hope I can get into mine today.

Buzz'n Billy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All the hives around here are buzzing and bustling. Looking to start some early queen grafts on 2/2 ( about 10 days ahead of schedule) since capped drones are starting to appear. Today's temps are going to be in mid 70's, which doesn't hurt. Local blueberry nursery around the corner from the farm has early bloom bushes going and the bees are feverish in their activity. Hope everyone's hives are great this year! Good beekeeping to all.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All the hives around here are buzzing and bustling. Looking to start some early queen grafts on 2/2 ( about 10 days ahead of schedule) since capped drones are starting to appear. Today's temps are going to be in mid 70's, which doesn't hurt. Local blueberry nursery around the corner from the farm has early bloom bushes going and the bees are feverish in their activity. Hope everyone's hives are great this year! Good beekeeping to all.

What has been your experience with the bees on blueberries? Do they get enough nectar for surplus, or is it mostly used up with expanding brood? Forgive me for getting O/T... :hide

Buzz'n Billy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What has been your experience with the bees on blueberries? Do they get enough nectar for surplus, or is it mostly used up with expanding brood? Forgive me for getting O/T... :hide

Yes, I would imagine it's possible to make a surplus honey crop, but the bees would have to be in such large numbers at the beginning of the bloom to do so. Most don't have the weather to accomplish this. The blueberry grower near me has about 5 acres in blueberries and the hives are still taking syrup on top of the nectar because they're in production mode...soon, swarm mode. Around here, most big pollinators are feeding all winter long (I am not a large producer and let the queens have their rest period since I don't automatically re-queen each autumn). Then once the new year starts they have large populations and it's off for blueberries then citrus, unless they're going to almonds. Then tupelo honey in the panhandle. The blueberries are a builder crop and most will feed through their pollination. Premium honeys in these parts are Orange Blossom and Tupelo. Many of the larger local producers don't chase the almond pollination since honey wholesale prices are so high now.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Manzanita, my pluot trees, roses and another red bush that I don't know the name of is in bloom here already. My bees are crazy over them! We're supposed to have a big rainstorm this week, so no hive check for me. (other than looking and seeing them bringing pollen into the hive) I tried supplementing with sugar syrup (because even with a patty their stores are low) and they won't take it.

It's crazy how early everything is blossoming this year. Warm January temperatures aren't helping!

Latest posts