Who will eat this grass??

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am in North Central Alabama.
My husband is from Florence Alabama, pretty country. We have pretty much the same climate. Do y'all have plans to clear any of the trees? If the grass in question is rejected by your goats and sheep, probably no other animals will want it. Can you ask people in your area what it is? It looks a little like nut grass, my sheep and horses eat it. Pull some up, if it is nut grass, they are linked together by a single root going from this plant to that plant. There is also a small nut, you can pull up the grass, but the nut will still send out runners.

ByFaithFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It is pretty here! We’ve been in the area since March, and are really enjoying it!

At the moment, we have no plans to clear any of the larger trees. However, we do plan, and have already been working this past Spring /Summer, to “liberate” the ground in certain areas from a very heavy leaf load. We could see improvements in some areas, with spreading ground cover (a weed, I think, but the animals loved it, and it looked nice and lush).

Also,the goats and sheep have helped clear a lot of underbrush, which has helped us see the land (very hilly and steep in areas) well enough to choose where we might want to keep it open (on the ground anyway) instead of letting it grow back up. There were many blackberry and muscadine vines, along with tons of sweet gum and pine saplings. We definitely want to keep our forest, but are looking to encourage some grassier ground cover, especially nearer our house and around the barn. Have considered getting some pigs in the future, as we’ve heard they are good at ground prep and knocking down smaller trees (as long as you don’t leave them in one spot too long.).