Who will eat this grass??

ByFaithFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for an animal that might eat some grass that apparently is not attractive to our goats and sheep. Our land is mostly forested, and the goats and sheep are doing an amazing job clearing it. We bought the sheep thinking they would be more likely to munch the grass (which we have in small areas between the trees), but they much prefer the woods forage. Even if they’ve eaten everything else in their area (we use moveable electronet fencing), they won’t eat this grass. I’m unsure if it’s type, but it looks fresh, pliable and abundant.

We don’t really have enough grazing for a cow, but we’d love some critter to eat this free resource! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ByFaithFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I’ll try to get one tomorrow!

JimLad

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi FaithFarm:
I had to tether my goats and lamb to the grassy areas to get them to touch it. Worked really well but it is very time consuming. I tethered three animals out of six and the other three stayed close by.
You'd need to stay on top of them and keep the pruners handy.

Muffin

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for an animal that might eat some grass that apparently is not attractive to our goats and sheep. Our land is mostly forested, and the goats and sheep are doing an amazing job clearing it. We bought the sheep thinking they would be more likely to munch the grass (which we have in small areas between the trees), but they much prefer the woods forage. Even if they’ve eaten everything else in their area (we use moveable electronet fencing), they won’t eat this grass. I’m unsure if it’s type, but it looks fresh, pliable and abundant.

We don’t really have enough grazing for a cow, but we’d love some critter to eat this free resource! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kune kune pigs are WONDERFUL for using to graze. We have two along with our three goats. The pigs will graze all day and are known for grazing. It isn’t common for them to root like other breeds of pigs, but if there isn’t enough grass, they will eventually root. We have not had any rooting problems. They are docile and friendly (purebreds) and wonderful pets to have. They also don’t challenge fencing as long as they have room to graze. Another benefit is they aren’t huge animals and stay on the smaller size. Ours are smaller in height than our dairy goats. Hope that information helps!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
there are some grasses and weeds that sheep and goats just don't like. It might be tough, stringy or just not taste good. Some grasses/weeds have very low nutrient levels and are not worth eating. animals know what is good and what isn't.

ByFaithFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry it has taken so long-I’ve had phone drama-

Here is a photo of the grass in question:
90940FB2-B3DE-407B-A6E8-C73042CB674C.jpeg
83D26D8F-5BF9-4AA4-A204-4AE4879B432C.jpeg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know what it's called....we always called it saw grass due to the serrated edges that can cut you like a razor but more painfully. My sheep won't eat it either as it's very high in cellulose~read "tough" and none too palatable.

Short of tethering them on it or mob grazing it with the use of portable electric, I'm not sure how to make them eat it either. You could try rolling out a mulch round bale on it to smother it, then seed something else there to try and combat it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where are you located? Hard to give advice when we don't know the location. Bermuda grass does great here and lives through the summer heat. It won't live in cold climates. Likewise, there are lovely pasture grasses that live in cooler climates that would curl up, burn and die here.