Who would have thought?

MsPony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That I would be treating my rabbit for the bunny version of impaction colic, aka gastro stasis?

This morning my mom calls me, my bunny Tilli didnt eat her morning banana chip and just sat in her hutch, while her sister Tibbles ran around. We scheduled an appointment, because not eating a banana chip is serious business. Her rabbit-specific vet said she didnt hear gut sounds, she has gastro stasis and went over diet with my mom. I work with animals and my coworker went to the Oxbow convention so small animal nutrition has been fresh in my mind and I told my mom we needed to change it. She ignored me (I have been super busy with my other animals) and then today the vet told her EXACTLY what I told her and she goes "oh? Really?" Boo.

So anyways, I split an x-pen down the middle, put their beds (yes, they have dogs beds and L O V E them) in their, with a litter box of hay, bowl of water and a small thing of pellets for Tibbles.

I have been giving Tilli 24cc's of critical care, with 6 ml of Mylicon, which I just realized is too small a dose...doh. She also got .15ml of medicam and 1 inch of Petromalt. I stretched her out and made her hop up the stairs.
we got two poops, and night stools appeared! Hoping for more poopies in the morning :) :fl

In the meantime, Tibbles has had fun getting to hop around and cuddle on the couch, normally a treat saved for muddy/rainy days! :lol:

--Btw I am on the other 3 forums, just lurked on here--

MsPony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Last night I noticed she wasnt doing as well, so made a note to take her into the vets today. I got up at 4:30am to give the chicks water (tried to turn off the light so they would sleep, that just made them go nuts, ugh.) and tried syringing her some water. I had her upright against me, her head kept flopping back and she wasnt even trying to lap the water up.

My only options were take her to the emergency vet clinic, which I didnt know if they knew rabbits, or wait until 8am and rush her to her regular rabbit vet. I decided on the latter, but at 7am my SO came home and woke me up, she was so unresponsive :( Shes at the vets right now, keep her in your thoughts please :fl

MsPony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow...

So I check up on her at 1:15, they thought she had a brain abscess so they gave her penicilin and baytril, I would have had to give her injections for the next 10 days + keep her inside.

At 7 I got off, came home and my mom came out of her house holding Tibbles (the non sick one) and I immediately took her. Tilli died at 2:15, my regular small animal vet and the rabbit specific vet both worked on her...but it wasnt enough :( Tibbles was extremely stressed out, so I brought her over on my couch, cuddled and petted her.

5 minutes later I was texting my manager (shes a huge rabbit lover) and right after my last text, Tibbles started freaking out and moving. I held her on my lap, noticed she was gasping for air so I told my SO to run and grab my mom and call the emergency vet. She started seizuring and when my mom got over here seconds later, she stopped and her head flopped. I started screaming and my SO took her, tested her eyes and said she was dead.

I have never, ever screamed or cried like that over any death. Nor has my mom. It was so unexpected and tragic.

In the end, im glad she did go as well, her and her sister were so bonded :(

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:hit

I'm so very sorry to hear about that! Could it be related to whatever Tilli had? Maybe genetic?

Time will heal your wounds and I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts! :hugs