Whole30 Diet

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are starting a Whole30 Diet today. No dairy, no grains of any kind, no sugars or sugar substitutes, no legumes, but snow peas and green beans are ok, just not the seeds (beans or peas). It's a meat and vegetable diet. Almost ALL processed foods have sugar in them. A lot of label reading and putting it back.

I bought all 4 of the books, 2 cookbooks in the lot and we started off the morning with scrambled eggs with mushrooms and green onions and pan sausage. No toast.

We have played around with it since Thanksgiving, but wouldn't commit until after the holidays were over. We ate our last pieces of key lime pie last night. LOL Our son in law did the Whole30 from the day after Thanksgiving to Christmas. He feels better, lost some weight and his clothes fit better. He says he will stay on some form of this diet the rest of his life in order to eat healthier.

We have two freezers full of meat. Half a grass fed steer, lamb, chicken and home raised pork. Also corn, purple hull peas and butterbeans which are not on the diet. :hit But we have turnip greens, mustard greens and collards in the freezer and lots of canned tomatoes.

So here we go!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea... I'm already off most dairy and want to go gluten free also, we will see.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope you see results.... sugar would be very hard for me. A friend and her entire family, kids 7 and up.... went some kind of paleo diet.... got to admire their and your dedication to health.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I chose a diet that does most of the work for me. I HATE to cook and HATE to do dishes so while DH is gone all week I will be eating some prepackaged meal replacements and then a salad and chicken for dinner. I have done this before and did well and felt great. I am a sugar addict, carbs and sugar together are the best so here we go again. But since I am always on the go this kind of diet works for me. No fuss, no mess.

Sourland

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My name is George, and I am a carbohydrate/sugar addict - especially this time of year. Luckily for me even though :old I must have a high rate of metabolism as I don't gain 'too' much weight this time of year. Towards spring, I will start on my 'if it's white, it's bad' diet. By cutting carbs and sugar I can drop the 10 pounds I put on every winter. Of course that means no more sweet tea. :hit

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
the idea behind this diet is to find if certain foods cause inflammation or make you feel bad. After the 30 days, slowly add foods back into your diet. If you eat bread for 2 days, stop eating it and you feel bad or "off" then maybe that is a food that you shouldn't eat, or limit the consumption of it. Same thing with dairy. It is also to help you get away from so much sugar-that stuff is in EVERYTHING! My husband is a sugar-holic. He loves sweets and hopefully, this will help him break the sugar habit.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sugar habit is tough to break. I have been overweight literally my entire life, I was born big and there it stayed. I was at my "correct" weight for about a week a few years ago and then slowly gained it all back, took me 6 years but I have found all that I lost and I am not happy to be reunited. My DH loves to cook and since I love to eat all that I do during the week can be undone in one weekend. Of course he needs the diet more than I do since he is a diabetic so hopefully by me being the meany and putting my foot down on certain foods it will help him out too.

It would be interesting to try a diet like yours, I would love to find something that might help with the arthritis. Do you do this for a month?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I,too, must admit to being a Carboholic,a Saccarroholic, am vegetarian, and am not keen on eggs (even though I keep an average of 20 chickens). I keep sheep, too, but have no idea as to what lamb tastes like.

If I don't eat enough/get a carbohydrate 'fix' and become ketotic, I feel like I'm going to die.....the most profound feeling of weakness/lethargy/sleepiness and nausea at times.Being (too) skinny, I continue with my far-from-great diet. Though I have no need to calorie control, I would like to know, for those of you who have been on the Atkins-type diets and end up ketotic, as to whether that grim feeling eventually passes.

For those of you who are thinking....."What a *$@£*% (no particular noun implied here!). I'm not all white-toothed, clear-skinned, shiny- haired and super-fit, quite the converse, in fact. I take quite a few supplements, and think that some do help.
I would love to find something that might help with the arthritis
I think that bromelain (from pineapple stalks) and turmeric are helpful in reducing inflammation, and may help with your arthritis during flare-ups.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lost nearly 40 lbs in less than a year just by cutting way back on dairy and by getting more real exercise. Have kept it off.
Real exercise=a real bicycle--using it every weather permitting day and getting out and just walking for the sole purpose of walking. My wife and I ride together most days. I hadn't ridden a bicycle in 30-40 years until last June, but I now highly recommend cycling.
(no, I don't wear that stupid looking helmet)
DSC00501.JPG

My docs and nutritionist both told me.
"You can eat all the carbs, fats and protein calories, etc you want IF you burn them off".