Whooping cough?

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So its getting hotter here... and I've been noticing one of the cows has what sounds like whooping cough. (Not sure if cows can get something like that, but its just what it sounds like) She was fine with the cooler weather, but now she's getting worse. We are about to contact the vet about this, as well, but I was just curious if yall had any opinions of have seen something like this before. She's in great health otherwise, good weight, slick shiny coat and normal poops. She grazes with the herd, who are on a 67ac pasture rotating sections every week.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Since I don't know where you are just guessing here.
Dust pnuemonia?

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, we're in NE Georgia.. and she's a black angus, approx 5yrs old

I think most of the herd had a touch of pneumonia going into winter (long story, ugh) and it might be possible she's got scar tissue on her lungs?

I do worry about her, with the heat, and her calving in the summer. We're thinking about pulling her out of the herd and keeping her close to the house here with my Jersey. But I think I'll wait till the vet gets out here and gives her a looksee

Such a shame, she's one of the best lookin cows we've got and throws a nice calf. Hopefully this is something easily dealt with.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had pasturella pnuemonia go through our herd back in '07. We still have cows that get that cough and there is nothing we can do about it.
It does stink, but wait to see what your vet says first.

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks herfrds. We put a call into the vet but have yet to hear back. She's always very busy, so I'll wait till she calls back. Hopefully within a day or so.

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the vet..

She mentioned it could be a mycoplasma issue, scar tissue from pneumonia or an active mild case of pneumonia.

#5 hasn't gotten any worse.. she has healthy stools, coat, condition, she just coughs after she's been walking in the sun.

Mycoplasma does send off alarm bells. I've got poultry, and it would mean a death sentence for them, though I'm fairly certain its not possible to cross contaminate between poultry and cattle. But I'm not certain what it means to cattle.. if its as bad for them as it is poultry. Guess I've got some reading to do.