Who's hatching right now?

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok so I haven't went into lockdown yet, I'm going to let the humidity drop for today to see if the air cells will get a bit bigger on the bigger eggs, & will candle tonight & lockdown. How can you tell if one has a internal pip? I'm only down to 3 of the frizzles that will hopefully be going into lockdown, I really hope I at least get 1 from them, their the ones I was wanting the most,lol.

Careful on dropping humidity now. Perhaps you all with more experience can chime in...

Regarding internal pips-- it may not be a beak that you see, but the space that was once a clear air cell, has a shift and there's some chick in it.

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just checked my eggs & I have 2 of my silky/frizzle chicks that looks like they are working at getting the internal pip, could see like a little shadow going up & down into the air sac. I've added more water to try to get my humidity up some more, it was around 38-40, so hopefully it'll go up some more. I'm so excited, out of all of them that I put in, the silky/frizzle was the ones I wanted the most, so I really hope they make it & that I at least get 1 frizzle!! This is only day 18 now too. :fl

I'm not sure which incubator you have. Think surface area for humidity. People use different things to keep the humidity up and stable. For mine, I lay paper towels over the wells and bring that up to the top basket that holds the eggs. During lockdown only-- I add a felt sheet with holes cut (for air circulation), I lay that strip of folded paper towel on the edge of the felt. This wicks the distilled water from below, to the felt. It remains just moist, not wet. I also keep a shot glass with a cut sponge in the corner, filled with distilled water. If this isn't enough, I have a funnel (2" I think) connected to aquarium tubing that I can quickly drip some water through the vent hole. I prefer to keep my vent hole wide open. If I need to get in quick or take out chicks and there are pips , I have a small misting bottle with distilled water. I'll spray quick, grab chicks (or stuck chick I need to assist ) and close the top quick. There is no problem with my humidity and I can intervene if needed (but prefer to observe). I like to keep it 55-65% during lockdown.

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
are you sure the others are done? Sometimes I open my non-hatchers, sometimes I don't bother. But I do at least usually open the air cell, just to confirm death. Bummer that you didn't have more hatch. Sounds like alot of dark shells? Possibly too high humidity?? (just thinking out loud)
Yeah, pretty sure they are done, first one pipped on Wednesday. Actually think low humidity thru incubation was part of the problem, due to shrink wrapping I saw on assists. Used a clients incy for these last 2 hatches and had very varied air cell growth, made it hard to adjust humidity. Had turner motors die during both hatches also. Thinking there are hot/cold spots on this unit. 16 Marans eggs most of which I couldn't see into during candling, did confirm one clear at lockdown tho, so maybe more. So many variables! Eggtopsies can give clues but not always finite ones(except clears). My curiosity will probably get the better of me and I'll open them. Sigh.

crsch1888

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just went to check on my eggs & 1 of my silky has pipped external & it's right below where the air sac is, it's just barely below it. I payed it down with pip facing up, I did have in cut down egg carton. I'm trying to get my humidity up more, it was on 54. Will it be ok since it's not in the air sac? And should I check the others, I didn't pick them up to check them, but worried now that they may be where I can't see. And is it good to lay it down or should I put it back up how it was?

crsch1888

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_0211.JPG
Here's a pic, it's down at the very bottom, not sure you can see it that well

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Man! Got woke up to a very loud peep this morning. I jumped out of bed thinking for sure I had had a chick hatch. Nope, that little stinker made noise all morning long. Now it's settled down. It's pipped. It's my only blue..NN egg! So funny, as soon as I heard it this morning I thought, I hope it's the blue egg, I hope it's the blue egg. Whoot! Now the wait. Due date tomorrow. The pip hasn't changed. I can't even think of how many times I will be in there today checking on that pip. lol..now, if it will just be a Nn and not fully feathered..could go either way..but, most of this guys birds sold as NN are NN, or Nn..the ones I like with bow ties..so I have a pretty good chance. Was a time when I said, I would NEVER own a NN. But when they have a nice bow tie, I love them! Very hardy birds, even in the winter. Usually very sweet birds too.

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
11 chicks hatched....abysmal hatch rate....would be worse if I hadn't 'helped' 4-5 of them.
2 of 5 OE, 8 of 15 Marans, 1 of 12 EE.
Not sure I've got it in me to open all the unhatched eggs for clues to figure out why they didn't hatch.
Glad I only hatch a batch or two once a year...tho maybe I'd be better at it with more practice.
Did you already toss the others...you could candle them if not. See if there is movement..that's if you already hadn't..;)

Latest posts