Who's hatching right now?

crsch1888

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_0212.JPG
Here is a pic of how big I made the opening, I just now had took of a little more shell & started to get some of the membrane but when I started seeing a tiny bit of blood I stopped & put her back & put the damp towel back over her loosely, she chirps at me, so guess that's good. It's just that she's not doing any of it herself yet really.

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Love these colors!

Thank you! I just heard from the breeder that the black silkie comes from a black & paint. So this should be interesting . Hopefully the ShowGirls I just put in the bator survive the wonky aircells .

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are hatching at the same time Angie. Nice when they do this on their own right?

So true! And are they deaf? Why are they so quiet? I've never known chicks not to cheep when they internally pip?!

AmyLynn2374

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everybody:frow so yesterday morning my little silky pipped externally & I let it be until I noticed the membrane was starting to turn color, so just now I took it out & placed on damp towel & carefully pulled away the yellowish membrane & chipped off a bit of shell, the membrane is white under the shell, the little gal is chirping some at me, I gave her a decent hole to breathe & hopefully take over. I placed back in bator & put a damp paper towel loosely over her. There was no sign of blood at all. How long should I go before helping more? None of my other silkies have pipped yet, I don't know if they have died or what:hu oh & the pip this chick made is like more on the side of the egg instead of up at the top.

View attachment 34255 Here is a pic of how big I made the opening, I just now had took of a little more shell & started to get some of the membrane but when I started seeing a tiny bit of blood I stopped & put her back & put the damp towel back over her loosely, she chirps at me, so guess that's good. It's just that she's not doing any of it herself yet really.

I replied to your message on my blog. A light coat of Vaseline, non pain relief neosporin or coconut oil on the membrane will keep it moist. I give it 24 hours before really starting an assist. Only assist when there are no veining/bleeding. Do a little at a time and if you come to a spot with veining/bleeding stop, moisten the membrane with one of those suggestions and put it back in to give it more time before trying again. Hope this helps.

crsch1888

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I replied to your message on my blog. A light coat of Vaseline, non pain relief neosporin or coconut oil on the membrane will keep it moist. I give it 24 hours before really starting an assist. Only assist when there are no veining/bleeding. Do a little at a time and if you come to a spot with veining/bleeding stop, moisten the membrane with one of those suggestions and put it back in to give it more time before trying again. Hope this helps.

Ok thank you! It has been over 24 hrs since external pip was made. I've only taken shell off and left the membrane, was afraid it might start bleeding. It's still alive & starts chirping when I check on it. I'll give it a little more time to maybe work through the membrane before I try again.

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok thank you! It has been over 24 hrs since external pip was made. I've only taken shell off and left the membrane, was afraid it might start bleeding. It's still alive & starts chirping when I check on it. I'll give it a little more time to maybe work through the membrane before I try again.

Now that you have assisted, even a little bit, you will need to assist the rest of the way. When you start moving back shell, as you can see, there is a white membrane. Peel that carefully. If it looks like it has a lot of full blood vessels..of course, wait. But, if it's yellow, an no sight of blood vessels, I move that back away from the nose and eyes. Keep peeling away the shell to see if there is still .. just..the yellowish look to the inner membrane. If so, keep peeling it back. I'm thinking that baby may have already absorbed most of the blood by now. You will need to get the baby out before the legs become splayed. Need to have them up front of the belly.

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My hatch is done. Whew. Long night. I have 13 little babies..only 2 were fully feathered. So, a lot of NN's and Nn's. I know which ones of the Nn's I'm keeping! Oh, I started with 20 shipped eggs. Not a bad hatch for shipped. I am so mad at myself. Was watching one, that had pipped a hole. I don't like holes. Usually means trouble, especially when they just sit like that for hrs. and just wriggle the egg shell. Well, a piece fell off, so I figured it was going to start to zip. It did after a while. Slowly. I had to check on my son that just had surgery. I wasn't even that long! I went back to see how far it had come along. It was almost half way..I thought oh good. Then I watched...no breathing movements. I hurried and took it out. Too late. Ugh. That has not happened in a long time. That baby was too tired to finish, had his head down too far, and couldn't get enough oxygen..a guess, but that's what it looked like to me. Had barely passed. Everything absorbed, blood and yolk. Did I say Ugh! :/

crsch1888

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Now that you have assisted, even a little bit, you will need to assist the rest of the way. When you start moving back shell, as you can see, there is a white membrane. Peel that carefully. If it looks like it has a lot of full blood vessels..of course, wait. But, if it's yellow, an no sight of blood vessels, I move that back away from the nose and eyes. Keep peeling away the shell to see if there is still .. just..the yellowish look to the inner membrane. If so, keep peeling it back. I'm thinking that baby may have already absorbed most of the blood by now. You will need to get the baby out before the legs become splayed. Need to have them up front of the belly.

Ok, so I carefully started to pull back the white membrane & there was no bleeding until I got just past the eye,maybe, so I stopped, dabbed a little corn starch & put back in bator. She still chirps, not like she's hurting or anything. Under the white membrane, it didn't look to be of any color really.

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Keep checking once an hr. You are doing good. :thumbsup

AmyLynn2374

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok, so I carefully started to pull back the white membrane & there was no bleeding until I got just past the eye,maybe, so I stopped, dabbed a little corn starch & put back in bator. She still chirps, not like she's hurting or anything. Under the white membrane, it didn't look to be of any color really.
That's good. The inner membrane should be more clear if it's not dried out. Malpos often take longer because they miss that step of pipping into the air cell, resting and nature doing what it does between internal pip to external. Just keep doing what you are doing. Many times, especially with malpos it's necessary to do a complete assist. I have also had quite a few assists that have finished on their own while I was waiting.