Why are the goats always in the shed???

TheNewMrsEvans

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have 3 milkers in one shed. We close them in at night for predator safety but in the daytime the shed door is open to a pen. Even when the day is nice they are always in the shed! It gets so dirty so fast since where they stand they pee. Why are they in their house even when it's nice out? There is a tree for shade in their fenced area, so it can't be just for shade... Any ideas of what we can do to get them out more? and therefor keep the shed cleaner I hope...

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
If their food is in the building, they will stay there. Mine aren't housed in my barn but they still demand being in there because it is closer to their food stash. (they know it is where I get the goods from!) SOmetimes tough love of giving them the boot is necessary...

TheNewMrsEvans

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I guess I'll move all the water out during the day. Can't move out the hay because it has to stay inside during the rainy days. Maybe I'll string up a tarp over one corner of their pen...goats are odd!

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
:lol::yuckyuck

Odd is an understatement! :gig

I built mine a small 3 sided shelter and if it is raining, that is where they are and since I don't have a roof over my hay feeder, I give them their hay in their shelter in the pen. 3 goats over 70#s, 2 are over 100, and a baby, around 50#s, fit in the shelter which is about 4' +/- wide and 6' +/- long. It is about 5' tall at the point it connects to the building and about 4.5' at the lowest point of the slope. I close the barn door and my doe only goes in there for milking time and feeding time if it is raining. Otherwise the door is closed with no other access. They have several new shelters coming this year once we expand our 20x30 pen because we plan to expand with more goats as well and know this shelter will be too small for any more than what we have to fit comfortably.

Good luck!!! :fl