Why did our ewe die?

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We lost our beloved Finn ewe Thumbie yesterday.

Thumbie started by being a bit "off" for a day or two, but still eating and drinking. She didn't respond to us with ther usual tail wagging, so we knew something wasn't right. DH also witnessed her throwing up whitish vomit. I went out and checked on her Wednesday afternoon and she was staggering around, leaning into the fence. She couldn't drink. DH rushed home from work and took her to the vet. She was looked over and they diagnosed her with pneumonia and sent her home with some anibiotic injections, saying she should be better in a few hours. When I went to give her the injection Thursday morning, she was sitting still, as if in a trance, with saliva pooling out of her mouth on the ground in front of her. DH rushed her to the vet again. The vet did bloodwork and her liver enzymes were through the roof. Her liver shut down and there was nothing they could do to help her.

This was heart-breaking enough (Thumbie was the sweetest little thing on four legs), but now one of our pot belly pigs is exhibiting the same symptoms. We don't know what to do.

They both had access to the same pasture, so I'm thinking it was possibly a poisonous plant, but don't know what.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions? I really don't want to lose another animal. We try so hard to do the right things for our animals and when something like this happens, I feel like a stupid idiot for ever thinking a city girl can make a proper life in the country.

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Im so very sorry for your loss. :hugs

I might call the vet and let them know about the plant idea, although I am unsure what plants could be poisonous to both, so if that is it, you should be able to narrow it down I would think.

If you really want to know, possible a necropsy and tissue sample.

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
((((((((((((Huggs to You )))))))))))))))

It is so difficult when one loses a favorite animal ! Please do not think that You are to blame for it. Plenty of loonngg time farmers have tough times. 30 years back in the country... i have things happen the wrench my heart.

A possibility is a bad weed in the pasture. Also, if You have had a lot of rain... there could be mushrooms out there that are poisonous. Wilted cherry leaves...there are so many things. *sigh*...

Best wishes to You.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any lead-based paint on any of the buildings these animals have access to? Are they eating any moldy feed? Sometimes mold spores can be a neurotoxin and can damage the liver.

I would be getting that potbellied pig to a vet (a different one than you used with the sheep!) and asking for some bloodwork on possible toxins.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
It most definitely sounds like something poisonous to me. Our very first ever lambs ate some mountain laurel and had the same foamy mouth. One thing you should keep on hand is activated charcoal. It comes in many forms. You can buy it in a paste for livestock, or you can get the kind from the drugstore in gel caps. I wouldn't hesitate to give it at the first sign of any distress, because it won't be harmful even if it isn't needed.

nsanywhere

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't have any ideas or answers, but wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss.

It is heartbreaking to loose an animal, especially under these circumstances, when you think you have done all you can to help (as you certainly did).

condolences.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have any oleander bushes on your property? just 5-7 leaves will kill a sheep or goat, etc.

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts, everybody.

This is still very baffling. The pig is still hanging on, but barely.

No paint, no buildings, no oleander, no moldy feed, no wilted cherry leaves (at least that I could find).

Mushrooms could be a possibility because we did have quite a bit of rain and I did notice some mushrooms popping up. That would be a possible explanation for Thumbie's death, but the pot belly wasn't in that part of the pasture where the mushrooms were growing. :/

I'm terrified every time I go out to check on the animals now because I'm worried that another one is going to go down. If we could just pinpoint the source, we would know what to do. Here's hoping the vet can give us some more info by tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday morning at the latest.

Thanks again, everybody.