Why did you choose your sheep, goats, cows, etc.

Henrietta23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Anyone else choosing heritage breeds? If so, did you choose them because they are considered heritage breeds and you wanted to help conserve and promote the breed?

Or did you choose them for their breed characteristics only to find they are also considered a heritage breed and may be getting more rare down through the years?
Which goat breeds are considered heritage breeds? Thanks and sorry to go slightly off topic. :cool:

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I got my turkeys because they are heritage and can breed naturally. I switched over to mostly heritage chickens for the same reason. I raised my first batch of chicks....or rather, one of my Dominiques raised my first batch of chicks this year.

They are SOOO different from the hatchery chicks, it is amazing! These little buggers are still too small to go in with the main flock (major redtail hawk issue here) but they manage to forage for most of their food in a barren covered pen, and turn their little beaks up at my offerings of grain. They want only grass clippings and bugs that they find. All mama hen fed them was bugs and worms. They are also more confident around me, and I haven't really spent much time at all in their pen. Mama must've told them I'm cool! :cool:

ewefirst

Just born
Reaction score
We have three sheep for lawn mowing, weed eating, adorable pets. Also, I needle felt wool to construct puppets I use for performance - also teach workshops on the process. So, that leads to breeds. For years I had gotten wool from a friend who had Ivory, a lovely Border Leicester/Lincoln. Ivory was retiring from lambing and needed a new home - and being a flock animal, she needed some pals. Two lambs came with her. Josephine has similar fleece, Annabelle shows more of her Texel sire's characteristics.

Anybody out there milking sheep?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had always wondered about fainting goats and wondered why in the world someone would want one but the link had some great info on the breed.

Anyone else have great links to specific goat breeds?

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
This is a two part question:

A) Why did you choose to raise sheep, goats, cows, etc.

1. Meat, milk, profit I have goats for milk, not so much profit with all the hay they waste : (
But also have sheep to keep all the grass chewed down, (<whispers>...occasional lamb chops!!) hopefully more profitable!

2. Hobby, show It is all I can do to keep up with chores around here...no time or interest in showing.

3. Other The sheep are easier on the fencing so far.

B) Why did you choose your particular breed(s)?

1. For breed characteristics LaMancha and Alpine dairy goats, sweetness and productive too.

2. Liked how they looked Alpines are so colorful!

3. Other
LaManchas are very sweet personalities!

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I chose my katahdin sheep for profit and meat.

I liked their breed characteristics and the way they looked

shy sheep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I wanted sheep, I just did. I don't know why, but once i have something I want, I strive to get it. And when I saw them fir sale, I just wanted them. That, and they were affordable

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Well I grew up around goats and loved it. So it was kind of a no-brainer for me to want goats. I chose the minis because 1) that's what my dad raises and what was available 2) they are easier to handle 3)I have young children and feel safer with minis vs full size goats.