Why is handling/petting/socializing with your ram not recommended?

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My ram ramsey is one of the ones born with a friendly personality. We got him at 3 months old,and he is still a sweet heart. As everyone else has said i as well wouldnt recomend driving fear into the poor animal but you have to make sure that if you are friendly with him that he has respect for you. For all my ewes i am seem as food giver and back/butt scratcher, but for ramsey i am the dominant above him. I have made it so that from day one he is not allowed to head butt me and if he is acting up he wont get any scratches ( i never touch his face) he is respectful and whenever i am walking with him he always stays a respectful distance behind. But then again we wanted a friendly(er) ram since we have my kid cousins running around who dont always listen to rules. So far he hasnt shown any signs of aggression or attempted to challenge me for dominance, but he is probably friendlier than many of the ladies and gents on here would like. (Even comes at his name)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had ram burgers a few nights ago. :drool The girls are heavy bred and I'll be looking for another ram...... ;)

So how old was that ram before you made burgers out of him? :)

We will probably try to find a swap for our ram next year since he will be 5 years old and we will be out of ewes to breed him with.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He was 2 1/2 or 3 years old. He was not a great specimen of his breed, so I didn't want to sell him. So we put him on a plate. His name was Prince, but Grand daughter #1 named the horse Prince, so the ram's name got changed to Ramburger.

I will be looking for a Katahdin ram. I like Katahdins better than Dorpers and want to integrate a registered flock. Know of any good breeders in north east Texas?