WHY IS THERE A NEED TO SUPPLY MINERALS TO LIVESTOCK?

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
This question often arises when I explain to others about our system and methods, so I will endeavor to explain the reasoning behind the concept. If you examine wild herds in a rangeland situation they travel over large ranges and the animals self medicate by choosing selected plants from the vast array of plants on offer. They also select plants that deliver not only their nutritional needs, but they also need to replenish their stores of minerals both major and trace.

Once they are restricted from their nomadic wanderings it’s up to the farmer to supply these needs be they through the grazing of “wild pastures” or by “free access” to a balanced ration to ensure the animals are maintained in “peak health” without unnecessary intervention by the farmer with its associated costs and time. Young animals learn from their parents and from the flock and if you separate very young animals from this free tutoring they have to learn by “trial and error” which impacts on their overall health and production ability over their lifetime.

If you limit interference in stock health over time you increase Natural Immunity and propagate generation to generation transfer of knowledge and over time your cost of production will be reduced by both the cost of chemicals and your labor costs. The free feed system of mineral supplement we use means that at all times the sheep make the choice to consume or not, so let’s look at our season as it stands now. After an extremely dry Nov/Dec we have experienced welcome rains and to look at the lush pasture you would be forgiven asking “why do the stock need minerals?”.In a simple exercise if you gather up a KG of “lush pasture” and put it in a microwave oven and dry it out you are left with what the animal derives from that kg of feed. Now bearing in mind that much of the mineral content is “water soluble” most of it will be lost to the animal.

In our own mix the most important are Dolomite Lime and Seaweed Meal, both supply the “majors and trace “in its most natural form. T.O.R.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a timely post. You always have words of wisdom to share with us and I sure do appreciate it. I am currently reading Natural Sheep Care by Pay Colby. What an eye opener! Practically every sickness or disease is caused by lack of those trace minerals and she recommends Kelp meal, Dolomite, Copper Sulphate and Lime fed free choice to let the animal take what they need. Just like what you just posted. Thank you for helping out newbies like me!

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day,sorry I'm bit slow to reply I had forgot about this topic .Almost 40 years ago I was lucky enough to hear Pat speak at a goat field day and so much of her views made so much sense that I got a copy of her book Natural Goat Care.Pat came from Gt Britain to set up a goat dairy and much of her work was a result of this experience .I did not go down the whole path with her vitamin injections and the like,but i have modified her mineral mix to suit our sheep flock(we were running meat goats at the time of our meeting).The results of using her min mix takes time to build up in the flocks system and it will be several generations before the full effects are felt,so preserve with it and note how the season effects the uptake by the stock over time .

If you are interested in our methods on Stock,Land and Water management you can find me at

https://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostRecent=&gid=5103247&trk=my_groups-tile-flipgrp
https://www.facebook.com/pages/SHEEP-Farmer/489540237795665

T.O.R.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We love the kelp but many of our goats will not eat it. I would love to set out the individual bins and allow the animal to get what it needs but difficult in finding many of them.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just got Pat's "Natural Sheep Care" book. It was so interesting! I'm planning on trying the separate minerals. It was interesting how much a lack of copper plays into so many issues. All the sheep people freak out at the mention of copper and think that the slightest bit will kill their flock.

Our sheep LOVE kelp.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was interesting how much a lack of copper plays into so many issues. All the sheep people freak out at the mention of copper and think that the slightest bit will kill their flock.
Our sheep would eat goat mineral with a min of 1350ppm and goat feed with (min) 25ppm (max) 40ppm. I think that may be part of why they had no parasite issues.

Latest posts