Why the difference in size? Runt? picts included

dipence71

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
1535_img_1005.jpg

I have a litter of 9 and two died do we are down to 7. today did another head count and only count 6 and have two that are very little compared to its litter mates.

Not sure what to do anyone??

both from same doe same litter

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I honestly don't like the color of the skin on that little one. I think you're in for another goner. I'd think about culling that doe, or at least not using her for a breeder.

MissDanni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've had some runts, but that is a REALLY big difference.

Like above, maybe that doe is not meant to be a momma?

dipence71

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
she has 4 that are normal and there are 2 little ones.

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Was this a first time momma?

dipence71

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Legacy said:
Was this a first time momma?
Yes first time momma.

Sad news one of the two runts died. But the 2cd runt though looks better, is getting bigger but still a runt compared to it's bigger litter mates.

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I never cull based on a first litter. It doesn't matter what comes with the first litter, I always give at least 2 chances.

Some of my best breeder almost culled and would have been if I had been hasty and now I'm glad I wasn't.

I never give more than 3 chances though, so if the 3rd litter isn't successful she is gone.

dipence71

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This wad her first so we will see how it goes. She has 4 fat healthy kits and still 1 runt alive. She will get another chance or two before I think about culling her.

RAL Rabbitry

Just born
Reaction score
What breed are they? The little one looks like a peanut to me. If they are a dwarf breed such as mini-rex and both parents carry the dwarfing gene than you will get 25% peanuts also known as double dwarfs and they will not live.

home-sweet-home

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
RAL Rabbitry said:
What breed are they? The little one looks like a peanut to me. If they are a dwarf breed such as mini-rex and both parents carry the dwarfing gene than you will get 25% peanuts also known as double dwarfs and they will not live.
That is what I was wondering too. If it is a peanut it wont live. Some make it 2 weeks but most die in the first few days.

The back legs look underdeveloped to which is another sign of a peanut. We have Holland lops and one of our does first litters she had a peanut. We tried to feed it separate it lasted 4 days . (We put momma on her back and let it eat as long as it wanted) Then we were told about peanuts and when I researched it, I knew that is what we had,.

Im sorry, I hope I am wrong and it is just a runt, but it sure looks like a peanut