Why? Young rabbits dying.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Why would young, fully weaned rabbits be healthy, eating, jumping, pooping, and drinking at 8pm Thursday night be dead by 8pm the following night? We lost 4 out of our 7 and have no idea why. No scours, no lumps, bumps or injurys. They look fine, acted fine and poof. Never saw anything like it.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Four Winds Ranch said:
Have they had any different feed in the last 24-48 hours?
Nope, not a thing has changed. Really weird. The three that are left seem to be fine, but who knows...so did the others.

ETA: edited because I cannot type nor spell this morning.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have had this happen.
I have started a program now where when a batch of rabbits are around four weeks I give them corid as a preventative for cocci/
Since I started doing this I have stopped losing rabbits.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had some do that a couple of years ago, and we discovered it was a weed that was in the hay!
Good luck with the remaining 3, and hopefully you can find the problem before it causes another issue!!! :fl

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Four Winds Ranch said:
I had some do that a couple of years ago, and we discovered it was a weed that was in the hay!
Good luck with the remaining 3, and hopefully you can find the problem before it causes another issue!!! :fl
Something like that was the only thing that came to my mind also. Thanks.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are they in a hutch or cage where something like a dog or another predator could frighten them to death?

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are 6 weeks old, and they are in a cage but not where anything can get to them to scare them or hurt them in any way. Large Open cage in protected area and they are not afraid of dogs. At least not the only two that can get to them, our Jack Russells think they are puppies and have been lovin on em since they came off the nest. They cannot get to them unless we are right there to let them. At this point, I am definitely thinking something strange in the sheet of hay we used on Thursday night.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My first guess would be enteritis. Have you done a necropsy on any of them?