Why? Young rabbits dying.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
greenbean said:
My first guess would be enteritis. Have you done a necropsy on any of them?
No, we have NO access to a vet here. Closest one is hour and half away and won't do anything other than dogs and cats. We are on our own.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry I meant did you do it yourself, I never take them to the vet for that. It's pretty easy if you know what to look for.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
greenbean said:
Oh I'm sorry I meant did you do it yourself, I never take them to the vet for that. It's pretty easy if you know what to look for.
No, I actually never thought about it. I was so bummed out when I found the first one, then when I found the others, I just got more and more upset, made a funeral fire and ...........

If I lose more, what am I looking for?

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have a link with pictures showing you what to look for. I'll try to find it tonight and will post it, if I can't find it I'll just tell you and see if I have any of my old pictures.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
greenbean said:
I'm pretty sure I have a link with pictures showing you what to look for. I'll try to find it tonight and will post it, if I can't find it I'll just tell you and see if I have any of my old pictures.
Ok, THANKS! So far, so good, the rest of them are fine, or at least they seem fine. Eating good, pooping good, drinking good and acting good. I hold my breath every time I look in the cage though.

hitnspit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mamaboid said:
Why would young, fully weaned rabbits be healthy, eating, jumping, pooping, and drinking at 8pm Thursday night be dead by 8pm the following night? We lost 4 out of our 7 and have no idea why. No scours, no lumps, bumps or injurys. They look fine, acted fine and poof. Never saw anything like it.
we had this same problem right to a T. long story short we found out that we were feed to high of protien. We were doing the 18% Blue Seal. The food was to hot. Killing all of our youg. We changed to the 17% for the young ones and have not had a die off in 7 months.... It kills me that they still make this feed knowing what it does to the rabbits.

aksrabbitgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thats happened to my rabbits to. seperate them from there mom and give them baby gas drops and a little bit of prune juice in there water. see if it helps it has never failed me but i learned the hard way.lol it was terible!:rolleyes: