Wich hay to

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So one of the growers I contacted gave me a choice between third cutting grass hay that is very high quality and very fine stem baled after the drought broke but is pretty expensive. He also has grass hay that was baled during the height of the drought and was mostly dry during the time of baling so is pretty low nutrition. I have both grain and alfalfa pellets for my goats and our pasture is ridiculously lush and rich so am mostly looking for hay that will keep rumans full and happy and give them something to do. The good hay is 3 dollars a bale more per bale then the low nutrient hay. The price is not a terribly huge pressure here but that is a 120 dollar difference in price per ton.

If I was feeding horses I would spring for the good hay but with the goats I am just not sure which way to lean. I am still waiting to hear back from two other growers so I am not positive I will even go with his stuff but I am wondering what insight those with more experience think.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it were cattle, I'd say get the good stuff. Goats, probably makes not as much difference, but remember, that if the quality and analysis is very poor, that price differential will be lost if you have to supplement the poor quality hay with pricey feed over a potentially cold and long midwest winter.

pdpo222

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That is a big price difference. Mine wouldn't eat the cheap stuff, thank goodness the difference between first and second cutting has is only .50 a bale where I get mine. Plus you have to figure out will they eat it or waste it like mine did. I don't even look at first cutting hay for my goats, they waste more so I have to buy more, second cutting is really cheaper for me in the long run.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
close enough that you could bring a bale of each home and test it? I would probably go with the cheaper hay, since you have neough pasture, but if all they do is ignore it or waste it, then there is no point.
I am feeding first cutting right now, I would say with the stuff I am using there is may 20% that is rough and straw like that they aren't eating. But it was a big round bale and a good price, plus the other 80% is nice and tender and they love it.
I have some pasture left, but not a lot.
When I run out of this I am going to get 2nd cutting, since I probably wont have much pasture left at that point. Normally, by December It has snowed for us and are pasture has stopped growing fast enough to keep up with the demands of our herd.