wild cow

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
my bro came over to put out hay for the cows.an noticed a 2nd calf heifer was missing.so he went an found her in labor.so he went on to the movie.then back here at 830 to check heifer.he finally found her.an he was trying to help her.an she was charging an running at him.an he couldnt get the OB chains on her.so he went home.came back at 12am.an she finally let him put the chains on an pull the calf.he will check them again sometime this evening.an yes it was simbas calf.2nd calf we had to pull in 9yrs.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When in labor or when they have a calf, cows can get mean! You should have a spot where you can lock up a cow to work with them if need be. Although, I guess, getting them into it could be a trick. Hmmm.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i knew you was gonna say that :gig we do have a pipe steel corral to catch cows in.but she was in the middle of a 60ac pasture in the brush.an bro couldnt drive her to the pen.so he just pulled it right there.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
i knew you was gonna say that :gig we do have a pipe steel corral to catch cows in.but she was in the middle of a 60ac pasture in the brush.an bro couldnt drive her to the pen.so he just pulled it right there.
Darn uncooperative cattle!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
when we milked cows.id pull the calves with the cows out on pasture.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Ah!
Pulling calves in the field, I sure miss that! NOT!

Mine are "usually" pretty good with letting me near them. Since I am not really built to pull calves, it would be nice if they would let Hubby or the boy help! Once it is out, I have been known to run pretty fast!

I have a heifer that I have on watch! I think if I have to pull it, I will call Amy! Give her a crash course in calving!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've pulled out in the pasture too. It is much easier in the barn though. Especially when I need more than just me pulling. Fence stretchers are a great help but, you need somewhere to hook the other end too.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
theres been a few times we had to use come alongs to pull a calf.an even used the truck to pull a calf.an yes the calf an cow was fine.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I've used the truck and the come along, never thought of the fence stretcher! I will have to keep that one in mind!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
bro went to the pasture an brought the calf in.he is gonna give it a bottle of powdered clostrum.he is hoping it sucked momma.but the hammerheads toungue is swelled a tad.