wild cow

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the calf is in the pipe corral.he threw it over the seat of the 4 wheeler an brought it in.we will watch over the calf.he better get powdered milk tomorrow.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
bro went to the pasture an brought the calf in.he is gonna give it a bottle of powdered clostrum.he is hoping it sucked momma.but the hammerheads toungue is swelled a tad.
We used to get a lot of those. I got to the point I would just tube feed them their colostrum right off, rather then try to get them to suck a bottle or mom.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
we dont beleive in tubing calves.we had to tube 4 hol heifer calves once.an we lost all 4 of them.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't any of you have calf pullers? That's what we use, and they work great. We very rarely have to use ours, but when we need it, we NEED it!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Don't any of you have calf pullers? That's what we use, and they work great. We very rarely have to use ours, but when we need it, we NEED it!
For us we can usually run the cows into the barn if need be so why spend money on another piece of equipment when what we have works just fine. Now someone with beef cows, it maybe helpful.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
for the last 37yrs all we use are OB chains.an a come along if needed.our vet doesnt like using calf jacks at all.said they do more harm than good.weve only used the vet 3 times in 30yrs pulling calves.an 1 was a C-section.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
we dont beleive in tubing calves.we had to tube 4 hol heifer calves once.an we lost all 4 of them.
Mr X, liked the big 100+lb calves, I averaged about 115lb back then! Tube feeding was alot easier on me, than trying to get them swollen tongued monsters to nurse the bottle or the cow.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It must be a rule in the cow handbook. If you are going to have a problem calving find the most inaccessible area you can find! :rolleyes:

If it's an easy one hang out in the stall.

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ive used barehands, a tshirt, a towel, ob chains, a calfjack, a fourwheeler, and a come-along before. i've pulled a many a calf out in the pasture. of course ideally it would be nice to have em penned up, sometimes it more feasible and less stressful just to sneak up on the old gal and give a helping tug. i dont recommend it tho--do as i say, not as i do.