Wildrosebeef - Armchair Cattlewoman's BYH Journal

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, for my REAL thoughts that started me on this whole mono-whatever-you-call-it-discussion, and what my DB started with his suggestions to me, not to mention the things I've been reading on here, on CattleToday, the Canadian Cattlemen Magazine and a few other places.

And if I've mentioned it before, meh, it's worth mentioning again.

I think it would be more cost-effective to start with raising feeder steers or heifers to get my feet wet and start experimenting with some MIG rotational grazing stuff. Purchase them in April or May, or whenever the grass starts to come up enough to start grazing on, MIG graze them in the corrals for the first bit to train them to the electric fence, then really begin the MIG for the summer. Then I'd sell them when they're big enough or when I feel it's the best time to take them off the pasture for the summer/fall.

In the mean time I'd start building a cow herd. I was asked by one of my colleagues why is it really necessary to start with 3-in-1's or bred cows? He said you can literally start with whatever you want, there's nothing that says you have to. I think the reason I thought to start with that was because of the more experience with calving out and weaning and that. Then today I was reading a thread on CattleToday that put a question on whether it was feasible to retain heifers or not, especially with prices nowadays. The one post that stood out for me was the one that said that the only problems you get with heifers and calving is when you're using the wrong bull on them. If you're not using the wrong bull then you won't have the calving troubles. The other issue I've had to think about was mothering ability, but I think that is due to the fact that I have to be choosey about the kind of heifers I purchase, make sure I get some good maternal-type heifers and not culls that will not last very long.

So possibly start with heifers? Likely, yes, since they're cheaper than buying 3-in-1's and I'd probably have less risk associated with good, quality heifers over 3-in-1's bought at the auction, regardless if it's from a dispersal sale or not. The reason I say less risk is that I wouldn't know what the history for a 2nd or 3rd-calver is and whether she was bred to a questionable bull or not.

And those Galloways are starting to look more and more appetizing the more I see pictures of them. ;) :D

And who knows what will aspire in the next five years? I really hope to keep my job at the UFA for that long and longer, and the farm will be kept being rented out for the next five years as well, that's already been agreed. But with me, hope to keep the job, certainly feel like I will (confident I will at this rate), but the other thing is that it's possible that I may even find or buy a farm of my own.....though at this rate, that probably won't be any time soon, certainly not within five years from now!! I hope to have ALL my student loans paid off within five years or less, and really start getting something concrete down with this cattle business.

But, the idea of starting with grazing stockers in the summer for the first couple years or so before starting a cowherd sounds ideal. From the one contract grazier I talked to and got to tour his ranch, doing that (the stocker route) is more profitable than going cow-calf. :)

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
;) spotted the one line :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I figured you'd notice!! :lol:

Anybody know the secret to a good tomato crop, like with lots of tomatoes and that? (I "kinda" know the answer already, just want others thoughts if possible)

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Come on now folks, I know there's a number of you out there on here who love a good crop of tomatoes and have your ways of getting them. :D

So I'll ask again: Anybody know the or a secret to a good tomato crop? Like, a way to get a lot of tomatoes other than just getting a lot of tomato plants or planting a lot of tomato seeds in the spring?

I know one way is to do a little pruning. Anybody else?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Get a good cultivar for your area. Start early inside (or in a greenhouse). Plant with some of the stem in a "trench". Prune. Water appropriately.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but.....No, I don't know and I don't want to know.
2011, I put out 18 plants of about 5 different varieties--all heirloom. One plant died, and I eneded up with 40 qts and 33 pints canned, plus all we could possibly eat and gave away as many as I could as well. Cut down to 13 plants this years--again one didn't make it and I still had way more than I could give away after canning both cut tomatoes and salsa. Same with yellow squash and zucchini. I am absolutely sick of them. 2 freezers full and I have gotten to where I have to go by the little store up the road and just drop them off by the bagfull and just let them to give away for me. I do nothing special to my garden except use plenty of 'seasoned' cow pooh, and keep the fruit picked off as quckly as they approach maturity. zero chemicals except to side dress my sweet corn.

I'm ready to hook the power tiller up and plow the whole mess under.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
:lol:

Sorry to laugh greybeard but we've had those issues too! :lol:

We haven't hit the "tomato season" here yet so no ripe tomatoes. But at least I have a booth at the Farmer's Market every Saturday to help unload any extras this year.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
We do alright with tomatoes but not that we have any great trick. We put cages around them early, use nylons to tie them up if the seem like they need support. I use wasted hay from the goats as a kind of mulch around them---it keeps the ground from getting really dried out and if I have to go away for a few days, I'll really soak it and the hay helps to keep them happy while I am gone.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Tomatoes seem to do well in the garden with me pruning them every two or three days. I go away for longer than that and those suckers I should've pruned out before grow into big stems. They have to get knocked out though, regardless, since I don't want my tomato plants branching off like a friggin' tree. :p

Anyway, I was away to Canmore for the weekend, or at least from Friday til yesterday, since I had a cousin's wedding to go to. Nice country wedding, simple, a bit different from what's usually held at the church and that, but nice anyhow. The steak the folks of the ranch that the wedding was held at sure served some yummy steak, I'm absolutely positive it's steak from either one of the ranch's animals or from a different ranch, but locally raised.

So now I've got to try to rest up before heading back to the grindstone again tomorrow. At least I get Thursday off before going back again Friday. :cool:

Latest posts