Will a sister bunny attack the other's kits?

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have lionhead sisters who've lived with each other their entire life. One just had babies. Will the babies be safe if both female bunnies are in the hutch together? I can't tell them apart and both are missing hair. It looked like they were squabbling so I removed the one I think isn't the mom. Going out in a bit to have my daughter help identify which is which.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rabbits only feed their kits at night so your best chance of identifying the mother is to check which doe is feeding the kits at night. They don't usually go into the nest box during the day. It is an instinctual behavior from wild rabbits. The doe will hide near the nest but will not visit the kits during the day to avoid drawing predators to the nest. If predators approach the nest area the doe flees drawing the predator away to chase after her and not discover the helpless kits. In the wild rabbit kits are on their own by 4 weeks.

You can examine the does underbody to see if they have milk glands, and which is producing milk.

Latest posts