Will birds make them sick?

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats. We have a sudden influx of insanely overwhelming Starling birds. These birds are EVERYWHERE and I'm wondering if they will make the goats sick. They are picking at the feed and drinking the water. Thank You!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! Glad you found us!

Regarding the birds, I'd check the goats' water several times during the day and dump/refill if there is bird poop in the water. Look at the feed bowls before you put in the feed and if the bowls have bird poop then clean that out before you put the goat feed in the bowl.

You should be fine.

How about some pictures of your goaties????? We love pictures, please and thank you.

Also did you introduce yourself in the Social section? If not please do so. We love new folks.

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! Glad you found us!

Regarding the birds, I'd check the goats' water several times during the day and dump/refill if there is bird poop in the water. Look at the feed bowls before you put in the feed and if the bowls have bird poop then clean that out before you put the goat feed in the bowl.

You should be fine.

How about some pictures of your goaties????? We love pictures, please and thank you.

Also did you introduce yourself in the Social section? If not please do so. We love new folks.
Sounds good, Thank you! I'll add some pics and say hello later today!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a sudden influx of insanely overwhelming Starling birds.
It's called 'murmuration'. I've had them here every year, (tho later in the year--usually January) by the tens of thousands. Quite a sight actually, as they land in a line of trees, then as if on signal, they pour down as like water over a waterfall onto the ground and begin moving across the fields looking for seed and insects. After moving a little ways, the back 1/3 of the murmuration, will suddenly fly up a few score feet, and leapfrog over the front 2/3 of the mass, settle down in the forefront, and this is repeated until the whole field has been inspected. I've never had or heard of any problems from them.

Now Grackles, are a different story, but for other reasons. ....All the dang noise they make.