Will sheep bite me?

Ewenicorn

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My sheep like to come up to the fence and lick my hands but they seem to get a little carried away and try to get my hand in their mouth. Since they don't have top teeth, can they bite me? And if I keep my hand flat can they still get my skin?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are these the lambs?
If so, normal.
Like puppies and human young, they use their mouths to explore and sooth toothaches.
It's not really a problem unless you let them use their back teeth, that'll split your skin and make you bleed.
They can scrape flat objects with their bottom teeth, yes.

Ewenicorn

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Are these the lambs?
If so, normal.
Like puppies and human young, they use their mouths to explore and sooth toothaches.
It's not really a problem unless you let them use their back teeth, that'll split your skin and make you bleed.
They can scrape flat objects with their bottom teeth, yes.
Yeah these are the lambs

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, sheep can and do bite.

The important thing is that they do not bite from fear or aggression. It's usually the obnoxiously friendly ones that try to nibble and get carried away. As long as you don't get your finger stuck between their back molars, they don't normally draw blood/break skin.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old ram that likes to nibble. Doesn't feel all that wonderful but not terrible

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep back molars are very sharp. But you’re unlikely to be bitten unless your fingers are far in the mouth. I got a good pinch removing fabric from a choking sheep (there’s one in every flock)🤪

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Although their front teeth are only in the bottom, the top gums are hard as rocks. You can get a good nip by accident. Sheep don't bite at you aggressively, their mode of protection is to head butt or stomp.

That said the rear molars are sharp as razors and there is a lot of strength in their jaws. They can cut through thick stems and small branches with their back molars. You can get a very bad bite if the sheep gets your finger between their back molars.

I would say don't encourage your sheep to nibble at you. Your lambs are nibbling because they are investigating and they use their lips to 'feel" new items.