Will the calf take all the milk?

bubba1358

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi all. Got a 2yo Jersey with a ~350 lb, 5 month bull calf. I'm planning a trip out of town for a few days, and have someone to take hay and water daily. I was anticipating being able to leave them penned together during this time, figuring the calf would consume all the milk. She's been on once a day milk the whole time, and as I type i've been watching him nurse the last 10 minutes. Is there anything i should be concerned about or plan for that I'm overlooking? Thanks.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not a dairy guy, but At 5 months and 350 lbs, I would think think that calf would be on both hay and some sort of feed as well as momma's milk. He should be anyway, as he is fast approaching weaning time. If he has in fact started on other inputs, he will take less milk than when he was younger. Hay, especially this time of year and penned up, should be freechoice and available 24/7. Fiber converts to fat and energy, which keeps the animal comparatively warmer than just a protein based diet. He already gets some fat content from the teat, but it doesn't stay in rumen as long as hay does.
My thoughts anyway.

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not sure on your post, but if you have been milking once a day and the calf with Mom the rest of the time, then you should be fine with the calf taking all the milk while your gone. You may have a slight reduction in milk when you get back, but if its only for a few days I wouldn't worry about it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Evidently I misunderstood what the initial post was about--other than Bubba is going away for awhile and leaving a cow and calf.

bubba1358

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thougjt too. Just wanted to confirm. :)