Will they ever come around? Even like us???

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi all.

Now I have to start this off by saying that I think our bottle goats have tarnished our view on things. We got them and within 24 hours they were affectionate(well...hungry, but humor me!) and now they like to play and run and jump and lead and everything.

Fast forward to this friday when we get Chachi and Raji. Male, intact, 3 year old alpacas. Chachi is more gentle and will let me touch him if it's convenient for him and only for a second or two. Raji will let me look at him...from a distance...if I have a treat he will come over but soon leaves when it's gone.

First off-treats. Our local co op was only able to offer sweet feed. I know they're not really supposed to have that but we're desperate to 'introduce' ourselves and this was the best we could come up with. I did try carrots yesterday as a treat-might as well have offered them a stick. They were not impressed.

I know that because they're older it can take longer, but I'm wondering if they ever will be 'affectionate'? A friend of a friend said that they're only livestock and to not get too attached. They don't like to be touched(or groomed-which I've heard before).

Chachi nearly was berzerk when he was younger-bottle fed, but the owners backed off and he was ok after that. They both lead ok, need refreshing but generally ok. They have never kicked and do not spit. They will grumble at each other if one tries to eat the other's treat, but that's about it. Apart from that they're gentle, but weary of us.

I would LOVE to have the camelids companion book but 50$ for a book...I love books and I can't even justify that.

If there's hope then I need a plan of action.
Right now it's just keeping them inside so that we can be close to them when we feed the goats-let them see us and get used to us being around. This morning I went in and sat with them and just talked a little bit ((crazy lady!)).
Am I really fighting a lost cause here? Should I do something different? Any tips, suggestions?:/

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Alpacas and llamas are generally curious but standoffish. Most alpacas will never be affectionate. With intact males, you really don't want to get too friendly with them. They then start to treat you as another alpaca and can get aggressive. But you can work with them and have a semi friendly relationship. It will take a lot of time and patience. You could always try clicker training too. Just keep in mind that time and patience are what you need most. A little bit of sweet feed to get them used to you is fine. They just shouldn't have a lot of it.

Good luck with them. I hope they become more friendly with you. If the one male was a loved on bottle baby, then you will want to be careful how friendly you try to get with him.