Wings & Caprines: 2018 NC State Fair

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
As many of you know, we attended the NC State Fair last weekend. It has been a rough month for us. Hurricane Michael throwing us a hard blow just before fair. Loss of power for 4 days, my brand new clippers breaking, one of our LGD's near death and needing emergency vet care, broken fences, you name it... we went through it. Last week we honestly didn't know if we would even make it.
We were determined though!

Our State fair is massive. The dairy goat show is ADGA sanctioned. There were over 1100 entries
l4ukfCX9QTDh99pn-as_wXnV9d0ryPB8M4nECmlVugDerpGh4lH6UsaZge9g6xUfcyr0oQO2LxT8SCgOwcNvK7QFtXa3kd6xa7DqdSY5Nnjco9Hx4GtEWyM=s0-d-e1-ft

We entered 26 goats, but brought 2 "extras" along with us also (One is Lilly, we brought her so that we could change her bandages and monitor). Over half the herd was prepped in the last three days before the show.

We were worried that the goats may not all get shown, due to the show order. Lamanchas and Nigerians would likely overlap (two rings are going at once). This has happened in the past and have had to scratch because of this. We are so blessed to have wonderful goats peeps and family! People who were running goats ringside, showing, and even carrying my Nigerian Jr kids as if they were their own. I cannot thank those people enough! A true blessing! I love our NC goat community!
ETgAdkVtKera6JrXss_qkwsfSjdI0jv0MISZTXXFm8wucQVwZTtYH-Gvk4ilPoaM4DY8MMC2oNfawikTJgNmkJuc5nSi8xvfyV2oskUMjoFwf3MUimEL0kymrw=s0-d-e1-ft
Even those that we often show against pitched in and helped when we needed it most
ETgAdkVtKera6JrXss_qkwsfSjdI0jv0MISZTXXFm8wucQVwZTtYH-Gvk4ilPoaM4DY8MMC2oNfawikTJgNmkJuc5nSi8xvfyV2oskUMjoFwf3MUimEL0kymrw=s0-d-e1-ft
We are very humbled and blessed!

We always love hearing judges comments. As any breeder, we are always critiquing our goats and talking about strengths/weaknesses. It is encouraging when the judges say the same thing we have said. Still being so new to the goat showing world (2 yrs) we as so proud of our animals. One doe (Zephyr) was mentioned to be perfect in every way, except her teats (long story there, not entirely her fault). Our Recorded Grade Tiffany- the judge stated "this doe is the scorecard". We had several GCH and RCH goats, 2nd Place Lamancha Dairy herd, and many more 1st/2nds. We are very proud with our Nigerians, Lamanchas, and Recorded Grades!

We are still trying to compile pics and get individual placings. :)
IMG_20181020_202609957.jpg

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations to you for making thru the storm...and comming home a winner !!! WAY TO GO !
As many of you know, we attended the NC State Fair last weekend. It has been a rough month for us. Hurricane Michael throwing us a hard blow just before fair. Loss of power for 4 days, my brand new clippers breaking, one of our LGD's near death and needing emergency vet care, broken fences, you name it... we went through it. Last week we honestly didn't know if we would even make it.
We were determined though!

Our State fair is massive. The dairy goat show is ADGA sanctioned. There were over 1100 entries
l4ukfCX9QTDh99pn-as_wXnV9d0ryPB8M4nECmlVugDerpGh4lH6UsaZge9g6xUfcyr0oQO2LxT8SCgOwcNvK7QFtXa3kd6xa7DqdSY5Nnjco9Hx4GtEWyM=s0-d-e1-ft

We entered 26 goats, but brought 2 "extras" along with us also (One is Lilly, we brought her so that we could change her bandages and monitor). Over half the herd was prepped in the last three days before the show.

We were worried that the goats may not all get shown, due to the show order. Lamanchas and Nigerians would likely overlap (two rings are going at once). This has happened in the past and have had to scratch because of this. We are so blessed to have wonderful goats peeps and family! People who were running goats ringside, showing, and even carrying my Nigerian Jr kids as if they were their own. I cannot thank those people enough! A true blessing! I love our NC goat community!
Even those that we often show against pitched in and helped when we needed it most
We are very humbled and blessed!

We always love hearing judges comments. As any breeder, we are always critiquing our goats and talking about strengths/weaknesses. It is encouraging when the judges say the same thing we have said. Still being so new to the goat showing world (2 yrs) we as so proud of our animals. One doe (Zephyr) was mentioned to be perfect in every way, except her teats (long story there, not entirely her fault). Our Recorded Grade Tiffany- the judge stated "this doe is the scorecard". We had several GCH and RCH goats, 2nd Place Lamancha Dairy herd, and many more 1st/2nds. We are very proud with our Nigerians, Lamanchas, and Recorded Grades!

We are still trying to compile pics and get individual placings. :)
View attachment 53617

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll start with the Nigerians. I am very proud of my girls! Unfortunately, CarolinaGirl didn't fill very well. She has had a tough time with dealing with shows lately :idunnoPoor girl just gets very stressed. She was still able to make it to 4th place in the first ring.

Red Hot (AKA Peanut) was first in her class in both rings.
I brought her out for the CH lineup in ring one. The judge talks about all the goats in the lineup and then says the yearling milker will be her Champion. I was thinking: oh that's cool..... Followed by: wait, I have the yearling milker! SBC and I both had a look of shock on our faces. :lol: I think everyone busted out laughing! (For those that are new, it is pretty rare for a 1 year old milker to go GCH over aged and seasoned does).
I knew she could win her age group. Last week I had commented to someone else how Peanut is becoming a very balanced doe and growing out of the awkward yearling milker that she was. (click on pics to enlarge)
Peanut 1st place Yearling milker GCH ring 1 (1) - Copy.JPG

Peanut 1st place Yearling milker GCH ring 1 (2) - Copy.JPG Peanut 1st place Yearling milker.JPG ND CH Lineup.JPG
First Place yearling milker, next the CH Lineup
Next for the Jr does:
Lemon Drop (Sr. Kid) 2nd ring 1, 1st in ring 2
Paris & Berlin (intermediate kids)
These are two does that I have said again and again that they will be ones to watch. As of right now, Paris just slightly has the edge over her sister Berlin. She too at such a young age is showing so much balance. In the first ring Paris was 1st, Berlin was 2nd. Paris was GCH Jr Nigerian.

In the 2nd ring, Paris was first, Berlin 2nd. Paris went on to be GCH Jr doe, and Berlin was Reserve Champion! :love:celebrate
This is when we first entered the ring, not how the entire class was placed. Both Paris & Berlin (far right) stood our from the moment she entered the ring!
Int. Class Nigerian Dwarf Jr - Copy.jpg

IMG_7693 - Copy.JPG

Our Jr Kid, Willow also got a first place in a massive class. She had never been on a lead, and I didn't have a show lead so showed her with a huge lamancha collar. She did great :thumbsup

This was very special to me. Some of you may remember that we lost our Senior Herdsire, Lil' Joe (https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/lil-joe.38312/#post-563919). This was a devastating loss.

Paris and Berlin were some of his last kids. For two of Lil' Joe's daughter to go Grand & Reserve I think it was an amazing tribute to a great buck. I had mentioned this to the judges at the end of the show. Both were very encouraging and reminded me that I have not lost his genetics and that we are doing a great job. I thought it was very kind and am very thankful for the encouragement as I do not take any loss easily.

Looking back, I was a little touched. Most of my goats are all from the same dam line, Ruth. I bought Ruth 6 years ago, she was my first registered goat, bred by someone who had 4 backyard goats. Ruth has produced first place kids at the NC State fair since we started showing (the last three State Fair's). She is the dam of CarolinaGirl, Clover, Peanut, Paris, Berlin, and the granddam to Willow. They all carry our Herdname :) She has been one heck of a brood doe!