Wings & Caprines: 2018 NC State Fair

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is when we first entered the ring, not how the entire class was placed. Both Paris & Berlin (far right) stood our from the moment she entered the ring! View attachment 53688

Do you have a photo of the final lineup?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre thank you for the kind words!

We definitely had a great show. We earned 3 legs at the state fair! Wowser. I for one am just really overwhelmed. Ashame Allure didn't qualify for a leg. As well as several reserves!

We also had 2nd Place Lamancha Dairy herd in the Open show! :ep:ep:ep

Everyone around us couldn't believe we didn't enter best udder for the goats in the youth show. We had no idea that you had to enter the goats for that. :(

I am so glad I was able to go at least for the one day. I can't show a goat for anything lol but I love watching! One of the things I really love is listening to the comments. The judges point out the strengths but also mention areas of improvement needed. Yet it is always in an encouraging way.

I love the comments part because I like to hear if what I feel are strengths line up with what the judge says as well as areas I think need improvement. Yes, it is one judges opinion on that day but over time there should be an agreement between the judges you show under. I am also amazed at how well GW and my DD handle the goats. DD has improved so much that I am really just kind of blown away. So proud of our goats too. Some seem to know “the show is ON!”.

I am beyond pleased with our placings. The judges comments were consistently similar and the words "correct, correct, correct" were the main statements. I was pretty much over the moon.
Under Judge Will he mentioned that our does are clearly working dairy goats. These are the goats that will make the money, they are working goats. With Little Allure she was 1st in her class so that put her in the Ch line up. He took considerable time and shared the dry yearling (not our goat) was very dairy, beautiful goat etc. Mentioned that this brought him a dilemma. The Jr Kid ( whoa, wait - that's ours is what I was thinking) He said he was going with the doe that he feels will be the true milking goat... Allure! "even though she is slightly over at the knee". ;)
The comments on the escutcheons and rear were music to my ears. So basically I feel really good about what we are doing and will continue to try and improve the areas needing improvement.

:ep I was shocked! Allure went GCH!
I was not there when Raina went GCH and Mariah RCH I was down the hill getting Nigerians. LOL
Zephyr- (open show under Judge Will)- "perfect in every way except her teats" (they are big lol)
Tiffany- under Judge Paula- "this goat is the scorecard"

The open show I am very pleased with as well because we know who we are showing against and to have our girls right next to some of the finest goats there are was incredible.
The Nigerians and Grades and Lamanchas all did well. We had a little time to talk with the judges and they were both very encouraging.

This was our 2nd anniversary! Our very first show was 2016 NC State Fair. :weee

We got lots of pics but so many didn't come out - GRRRRR.

As always I like to share the complete show record where I can. I don't want to just list the "best" placings. It is what it is.
Some goats I am not sure of because I wasn't there. I tried looking at pics but that didn't help. But here is what I have.
Pics follow

NC State Fair 2018
Lamanchas-
*Youth Show under Judge Will Pearson

Juniors
Allure (Jr Kid) 1st & GCH
Arpege (Jr Kid) 3rd
Dancing Queen (Int Kid) 4th
Trudy (Int Kid) 5th
Poppy (Sr kid by 2 days) 1st

Seniors
Charlotte (2YO FF) 2nd
Raina (2YO FF) 1st GCH (earned a leg)
Zephyr (4YO) 1st
Mariah (5 YO) 1st RCH

*Open Show under Judge Paula Reisdorf, DVM
Juniors

I have no idea. I know our kids did not do as well under Judge Paula. I had to leave to get other goats up to the 1st ring. :( I don't think she liked our body style on our Juniors very much. They are more "powerful" than dairy really. It is all good though.

Seniors
Charlotte (2YO FF) 4th
Raina (2YO FF) 3rd
Zephyr (4YO) 1st
Mariah (5 YO) 2nd

Recorded Grade
Juniors
Chocolate Mousse (Sr kid by one day)
Youth Show under Judge Paula Riesdorf, DVM - 1st
Open Show under Judge Will Pearson- 4th

Seniors
Tiffany (2YO FF)
Youth Show under Judge Paula Riesdorf, DVM- 1st
Open Show under Judge Will Pearson- 2nd

Open Champion Line Up- Zephyr 4Yo
Ch Line up OS Lamancha Srs.jpg

Allure & Poppy in Champion Line up. Allure GCH
Champion Line up Jr Lamanchas YS Allure & Poppy  Allure GCH.JPG

I was down the hill at the time- we had others helping to show but I don't know what happened LOL This is the Champion Line up (Youth Show) 4 of our goats are in it. The ring steward is holding Raina as she just went Grand, the judge is picking Reserve here. It ended up being Mariah (black doe)
Champion Line up YS Srs Lamancha2018 NC St Fair  (63).jpg

DQ 4th Trudy 5th-
I am NOT disappointed in the placings because as he gave the comments it came together as why. He said he had them in his mind at the head of the line mentioned how both these doelings were so vet correct and also mentioned their escutcheon and rear width etc... mention thses are going to be working goats... "it was the side profile that has them placed where they are" " I just didn't see what I wanted on the side profile".
I get that completely- they tuck up when on lead and they don't level out well on lead. I am still very pleased becasue the comments on the goats were really nice and encouraging.
Int kids DQ & Trudy YS 4th 5th.JPG

Open Show, aged doe Mariah 2nd. That 1st place goat is Vernon's... um lets just say he has beautiful goats and we have admired and watched his herd for some time. LOVE his goats! Feel honored to be beside his goats! To be in a CH line up is humbling with the quality of goats!
Mariah 2nd Aged doe OS.jpg

Tiffany (REc Grade) waiting rindside. I love her so much. She is good as gold! We were standing there for over 45 minutes. She just rested her head on DD leg and napped.
Mousse is patiently waiting too!
Rec Grades waiting Ringside.JPG

Mousse 1st
Wings & Caprines Choc Mousse 1st Place Sr kid YS.JPG

Tiffany made Ch line up in both shows and was referred to as the most correct, BUT she just doesn't have that capacity yet as a FF 2YO . No complaints here. There were beautiful awesome grades, so to be part of that was just incredible!
Wings & Caprines Tiffany 1st  2YO Sr  YS.JPG

@Bayleaf Meadows I am sure we have some, I am sorting the Lamanchas cuz they are my babies :D

OH BTW- I have pics for you! I will PM them to you unless you want me to email them. I think you did awesome BTW!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of the pictures were awesome and showed a good idea of what was going on.
@Mike CHS you might like this- turn your volume up.

For all those that have never been to a show I was able to get the comments on video.

It is really nice to be able to record so you can go back and listen to the positive comments and the comments of improvement.
Sadly I was too busy to get comments on all the goats. My phone had no storage left. UGH

But always keep in mind they are scored by the scorecard but judges will have their interpretation of the scorecard. It is one judges opinion on that day. Some days are great, some days maybe not.
It is looking for the pattern... the constant so to speak.

Youth Show-

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going through some of the pics, I had to share this one!

As many of you know we are still working on Lilly's leg. We decided to just bring her along so SBC/family wouldn't have to worry about changing her bandages. Plus Lilly is a huge love and is super outgoing. We were worried about her getting pushed around so she just laid on the seat with SBC's youngest DD :D She would just lay down and fall asleep. So sweet.
Lilly- worlds' most spoiled goat.JPG

And for those wondering, this is how the rest of the goats travel :lol: In the AC (or heat!). They were amazed with the U-haul trailer.
006.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't the goats know the people have to get to the event somehow? Would be nice to have windows in the trailer for them though.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't the goats know the people have to get to the event somehow? Would be nice to have windows in the trailer for them though.

LOL :lol: No goats or people are in the Uhaul. That is filled with hay, buckets, feeders, feed, stanchion, tents, chairs, all kinds of gear. We dropped everything off out of the uhaul and then brought it back home. Made the second trip with the other round of goats. :)

BTW- Lilly is the most spoiled most rottenest goat in the whole world. SMH. Between GW, DD and my vet... I am outnumbered.
I think I should set up a go fund me page for all Lilly's expenses.

Latest posts