Wings & Caprines Dairy goats: NRV Fair, VA

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been so busy lately and haven't been on BYH very much but wanted to share my excitement!

We headed up to the New River Valley Fair in Dublin, VA on Monday. It is a fair but the dairy goat show is ADGA sanctioned.

I didn't really plan to attend this show. We had talked about it but never sent in entries..... WELL... @Southern by choice was chatting with another dairy goat breeder and he said we should go to the show.
This was Tuesday of last week. Nobody is clipped. We needed to get health certificates since it is an out of state show. NC was also going through a very hot, heat wave. Several days the heat index was over 105 degrees! :th We had also been helping another farm get ready for their Linear Appraisal, and were already incredibly busy with "real life" LOL But we decided to go anyway :ep

Got everyone clipped, hooves done, health certs. done and headed to VA, about 3 hours away.

The drive was beautiful :love
IMG_2583.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG

There were a bunch of Nigerians, there was even a farm that came up from FL with over 20 does! They were beautiful, they will actually have a goat in the 2017 ADGA spotlight sale. I believe they have several Old Mountain Farm goats at the show.

First up were the Nigerians. "Peanut" (Red Hot) was second place in both rings. These were the largest classes she's ever been shown in! She also went on to be Reserve Grand Champion in ring 2!
Poor girl was so tired when it was time to take pics and wouldn't corporate
IMG_2732.JPG

The biggest reason on why we decided to participate in this show was to hopefully get Clover her leg.
She has been in the CH lineup five times already. I knew she could earn it. Her sister (CarolinaGirl) earned her leg at the last show we were at. Well, Clover went FIRST PLACE in her class, and went on to be GRAND CHAMPION and earned her leg! I am thrilled. I pulled her and didn't show her in the second ring, as they can only need one dry leg. I think it is silly to show a doe with a dry leg over and over again- it blocks other exhibitors and sometimes your own goats.
IMG_2707 - Copy.JPG

In the next ring, Ariat Boots was first place in her class! I was very excited, Boots get nervous and it seems that at every show I need someone else to handle her as I am showing my others does in the same class. With Clover pulled from this ring I was able to handle Boots and show her in her best light :)
She was giving the camera "the look" :gig
IMG_2715.JPG

Belle was in the top half of both rings, the judge in ring two really really liked her. But I realized something- in the last few shows Belle has been shown my a man. She is very nervous and will not let them set her up (she was a bottle baby). Our goats are not around men and the Nigerians will be friendly, but don't want to be grabbed or handled by men. So in the future if I am unable to show her myself, have a woman show her ;) It's not the handlers fault, you just need to find someone that the does mesh with!
I need to see if I have any pics of her..... Will post if I have any.

Next up were the lamanchas! Raina was 2nd & 3rd in her classes. The judges didn't have anything negative to say about her! She is a yearling, and the does she was up against were pushing two years old.
NRV Show (3).JPG

Prynne was first place in her class in BOTH RINGS and went on to be GRAND CHAMPION in BOTH rings as well. Everyone LOVED her! :weee:weee Prynne was born back in March, we almost lost her a few hours after she was born but she managed to pull through. I knew she would be something special. Looking back, I remember holding this little doeling doing everything I could do to save her. Hoping, praying she would live and make it through the night. I remember waking up at 4 am to check her (expecting her to have passed away) and when I opened her crate she jumped up and starting crying for her bottle. It really touches my heart to see her mature into this beautiful, powerful doing.
@frustratedearthmother you might remember our conversation when we were worried she was born blind! This was her first show and her first time being on a lead as well!
NRV Show (1).JPG

Tiffany, our Grade doe out of Millie was first place and went on to be Grand Champion in ring 2!
IMG_2696.JPG

All in all it was a great show! I am hoping to attend next year :thumbsup

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I posted too soon!

I forgot to mention we had THREE Wings & Caprines goats in the Best (Jr) Doe In Show lineup! So exciting to have three goats make it that far in the ring! In the end the Nubian doeling got it but the judges loved loved love Prynne. They were raving about her LOL

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Of course I get pics and occasional phone updates ... but it seemed like this show was a lot of fun for everyone... not just the showing part but the games, the atmosphere etc.

There were really beautiful goats there -I have 160 pics! LOL
It really is fun to get to look at the pics and see all the goats, I know it isn't the same but still- some really lovely animals!

This show was a really fun show for everyone. The youth events were alot of fun according to my DD and DH.
Very relaxed. DH even got in on the youth activities! Wore a sombrero and did an obstacle course with a goat! :lol: They gave him a ribbon! :D
They also had to milk into a bottle in 11 seconds... we had an advantage because sometimes we are tired and milk right into the baby bottles... :p

We wanted to try taking a milker so we could see how that would work out... We chose Zephyr.
Zephyr cannot do more than a 12 hour fill.
She didn't really eat on the travel up but started eating once they arrived but then went into youth show... so not really much chow time. She didn't have much milk but was milked out around 9pm anyway.
UGH... yep after going through two rings and Champion line up she was SOOOOOOOOOO full and uncomfortable... around 2 hours past that twelve hour mark... kinda thought maybe she wouldn't fill as much due to travel stress etc...
So we learned a bit from that.

Glad they got to go! I get to feel a part of it even though I am here caring for the rest of the farm.

We had someone tell us we need to get to some shows down farther south.... my poor DH....

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's so nice that the show was positive in so many ways! It helps make all the hard work really worth it. Your goats are beautiful!

Latest posts