1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Baymule’s 4th Lambing. - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

winter and feeding

Discussion in 'Pasture, Hay, & Forages: Information & Management' started by Kathy, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Dec 3, 2018
    Kathy

Kathy Chillin' with the herd

Needing advice for feeding in winter for goats... we live in Wisconsin and already have 8" of snow so grazing is over. Is there other stuff we should be feeding the goats other than hay? We have to buy our hay and it seems like we are going to go through tons this winter. We do have grain but we use it for control and I'm not sure they should spend a lot of days on grain... Thoughts?

Thanks
    Kathy

2. Dec 3, 2018
    SheepGirl

SheepGirl Master of Sheep Golden Herd Member

Depends. What kind of goats are you feeding? Breed? Sexes? Pets? Breeding? Pregnant? Milking?

3. Dec 4, 2018
    Kathy

Kathy Chillin' with the herd

2 female Kikos, 3 weathered Nubians, 1 female Boer and my bully Lamacha. Mainly pets and use for brush control

4. Dec 5, 2018 at 5:18 PM
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

I would say that hay is going to make up the biggest part of their diet. You can feed some grain as supplemental as needed. We have milk goats and hay makes up the majority of their diet as we are in winter(only a little snow as of now), we do feed some grain as well along with an alfalfa/beet pellet mix to help them maintain weight. We make adjustments based on how the goats are looking condition wise.

5. Dec 5, 2018 at 5:32 PM
    RustyBucketFarmGirl

RustyBucketFarmGirl Chillin' with the herd

I am having the same question so i cannot answer your post but hope to gain some info.

3 Nigerian dwarf goats. 2 female and 1 wether.

Northeast Ohio.

We feed a small amount of grain in the morning and evening daily but we offer hay in a slow feeder. How much do we really need to be offering them when there is no real forage in the pasture?

I read somewhere that i should not allow them access to hay at night as they would eat themselves to death but i think that may be for very young goats. No sure?!?