Winter graining

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i think she needs a good worming.an some feed everyday will get her back in shape before winter really sets in.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Based on the differences I've seen in Highlands of various ages, I have an informal hypothesis, which is that the older the animal, the sparser the hair.

For example, our 2-year old 1st calf heifer has at least twice the coat - even in summer - than our 4-year old cow. They're both well fed. And with both expecting calves soon (heifer this month, cow in the next couple months), I expect the calves to be that much fluffier and hairier.

Could just be my weird observations and have no truth to it whatsoever, but that's what I think!

Here are photos I took yesterday of both girls from the side. Sheila (cow) is starting to get her thicker hair...but Bridgit (also starting to grow winter hair) already outpaces her in coat length and thickness by a mile!

Bridgit (heifer)
10-21-08024.jpg

Sheila (cow)
10-21-08026.jpg

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty, that cow, Reba, is the one that does not like to be handled. Thus Ive not been able to brush her at all as Ive not bothered to try and catch her, halter her and brush her. She has a longer coated hide, so does her daughter. Lots of hair.
BTW she is the one that I pulled the calf out of, that is the calf. Our other cow is a perfect example of a Highland cow, easy keeper, easy to handle and good udder. She is also the alpha and hogs the round bale and chases off the other cow.

Here are some photos of Reba after a good brushing.
Reba.jpg

rebaandsweetpea.jpg

PICT0033.jpg

she has been wormed, just not as good a quality cow and lower on the pecking order

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In the latest photo, the calf is younger and hasn't pulled her down as much. I would still grain her some but, that maybe just me. I don't like my cows to get pulled down at all-it takes to much out of them. You can see it in her coat of hair. It's not just that it isn't brushed.

BTW--Is there a market for thier hair? With all that long beautiful hair I would image at shed time you get quite a pile. It would be nice if that was another source of income from them.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Right different times of having a calf on her in those photos, but you really cant see her quality of hair from that photo. She already rebred, if she was that pulled down she would not have.

We are grass fed only beef, we don't grain our cattle.