wire nesting box

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A few weeks back someone mentioned something about wire nesting boxes by Bass Equipment. Because I had a rabbit that had used her box as a litter box it caught my attention. I went to check it out, but they didn't have any large enough for my rabbit so I decided to make one myself. I made it out of 1/2 by 1 inch wire (the same as the floor of the cages). For the floor, I put some baby wire. Queen took to it right off the bat. As soon as I put it in her cage she was in it and digging. The day she kindled she filled it with her fur. I love it because I can easily see the babies when needed. Plus, Queen has not been using it as a litter box. If she does decide to, though, it will be very easy to clean. It's extremely light weight, and during this hot weather it's been a lot more comfortable for the kits.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bass will make a wire nesting box to fit your needs. When I realized my Altex were having problems, as in not using the nest box I had because it was too small for the does, I called Bass and they had no problem making their wire nesting box longer. The standard width was fine, the box just needed to be longer. The price for my special needs was quite reasonable, as was their return time. I had the new boxes for my finicky Altex does within a week.

Vickie B, I think you have a great talent with your rabbits. I'm sure they do appreciate your worry, your work and your agility with hand tools!

Great post!

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Animalmom, how long do the nesting boxes need to be for your Altex? Do you like the wire boxes, and do you use them with all your rabbits, or just the Altex?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love, love, love, love my wire nest boxes because they are so easy to clean and very adaptable for the temperatures. If it is cold I line the box with cardboard, sides and bottom, stuff in hay, and give it to the doe for her adaptation. When the weather is warm I only put cardboard at the bottom, add a less hay than in cold weather, and give it to the doe.

The Altex get a box that is 24" long. I think (could measure, but I'm too lazy to walk back to the barn) the standard large wire nest box from Bass is 18". The non-Altex get the large 18" box.

I've been very happy with the wire nest boxes.

From what I observed, the Altex doe would fit in the box I had but there wasn't anywhere for her to move -- she had no option but to jump on top of the babies. With the longer box she jumps in and situates herself for the kits in the nest. Happy doe, fed kits, happy me!

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you buy the cardboard liner, and do you just cut some for yourself? I would have thought the mom would be chewing up the cardboard. I didn't put any liner in the one I made because of that, I just put the baby wire on the bottom and filled with hay. I was concerned about this winter, but if they don't chew up the cardboard I could line it with that. It's really cute in the cage. Looks like a cloud in the corner, since it's filled with her hair.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
The wire nest boxes that are standard size come with a wax coated cardboard liner. I didn't use their liner as a liner but rather used it as a template for liners. You could buy their liners, but I'm too cheap and we have lots of cardboard.

With the larger Altex box I just measured out the dimensions and cut it out of an old cardboard box.

Yes, the does will chew and tear on the cardboard, but it only needs to last as long as the kits use the nest box. I have not had a doe totally trash her cardboard liner, but by the time you are through with the nest the liner does show some wear and tear.

One point I have not mentioned is one end of the box (visualize a shoe box without a lid), a short end, comes down -- like a drawbridge. When you put in the cardboard you slide it in and pull up the end (which I consider the front) and secure it with two spring latches. When you are done with the nest you unhook the spring latches and pull the entire contents out and plop it in the trash... or in my case a burn pit. Easy Peasy! Then dunk the entire empty nest box in a cleaning solution, rinse and you are ready to go again.

If you want, go to the website www.bassequipment.com and on the home page is a picture of their wire nest box. They call it a sani-nest. You can see the spring clips. Minimal assembly is needed and you will need a "j-clip" pliers to attach the sides to the bottom.

Another point I like about the Bass wire nest is they fold over the top edges so when the doe is jumping in and out, or the kits are falling out and scrambling back in, they do not cut themselves on any sharp edges.

Helpful? Would a picture be better?

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A picture would be great! They have pics online, but they're small and hard to get a good idea of what they're like.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, didn't break the camera, I think.

1314_p1000463.jpg

This shows the front of the box. You can see the two spring latches, one on each side.

1314_p1000464.jpg

This is still the front of the box, but with the front open and down.

1314_p1000465.jpg

This is a close up of what the top edges look like. The sharp cut edge is folded inward so the surface the doe jumps over to get in the box is smooth. Also the cardboard edge slides into the opening so the doe can't easily get to the top edge of the cardboard... holds the cardboard in place. This folded edge goes all the way around the top.

When the doe is through with the nest, drop down the front and slide your cardboard and nesting material out and into the trash! Hose the box down, scrub with a cleaner/disinfectant and put it away until the next time you need a nest box.

Let me know if you have any questions. Love chatting buns with you.