wire nesting box

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wanted to add that Bass equipment sells what they call edge protecters for the raw edges of cage wire. It's a U shaped piece of plastic you slide over any cut edges. I use them on all my door openings. I looked up an old receipt and you get 6 pieces 5 foot long for around 6 dollars.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Are they better than the ones that come with the Pet Lodge cage kits? My rabbits pull those off within the first few days and chew them up.

CritterMom68

Just born
Reaction score
Those boxes can be mounted under the cage with rings to secure it to the floor. Then you cut a hole in the floor for them to enter the box. The spring front is so you can check the nest while mom is up in the cage. the first pic is the bass cage mounted, and the second pic is just another subterranean nestbox someone set up so you can see how they enter. They are neat.
saninest2.jpg
july09103.jpg

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
That's very neat!

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My cages are stacked so I can't mount them like that. I love them in the summer. I just put some grass hay in, the mom pulls her hair, and in a few days you have a nest full of bunnies that you can watch. I don't use the cardboard in the summer so it's much cooler for them.

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Answering VickieB, I don't know about the pet lodge cage plastic strips but I have 16 cages and have had rabbits in all of them at one time or another and they have never pulled any off. They are tight fitting and require a little effort to put on. I think they would do what you want them to do.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, P.O. I'll have to try them.

Petty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'd say that such nesting box are the best. They allow urine to drain off.

Petty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'd say that such nesting box are the best. They allow urine to drain off.

Latest posts