Wire pen inside barn for sheep - will this work?

Stephine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah i dont know what math I was doing there lol.

We bed with straw during winter and lambing season, the rest of the year they get bare dirt. We have tried year round straw but ours seem to eat it for some reason even with free choice hay. Also tried wood chips but they dont seem to last long for us before they are just all piled around the edges of the shed and bare dirt in the middle again. We do get a lot of rain though which means they walk the chips into the dirt so you may find woodchips work well for you being you are more dry. I know some other use packing stone then straw on top as well. In our barn with the concrete floor we use straw for our pigs in the cold months.

You just have to experiment and see what works for you.
That’s interesting - is the bare dirt working for you? Will it start to smell from the pee? We have a dirt floor and don’t need anything for warmth for wool sheep, that’s for sure, so bedding here would just be for cushion and to keep things sanitary. Pee is a new one for me.... our horse goes out in the paddock to pee and keeps her stall nice and clean. But she of course doesn’t have to be locked up inside. And chickens don’t pee... Ok our bunny, but that was on a much smaller scale... 😂

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
No bad smell. Our sheep shed is a carport that someone built a wooden frame around so it has side walls and a roof but the end walls are not full walls, they only have wood down to the height of the sidewalls so basically just covering the peak part. In winter we close one end wall with 2 sheets of galvanized roofing tin to stop the wind whipping thru but even in winter with straw we dont have problems with smell. It stays dry inside even in winter, in the spring we scrap/shovel any build up out down to bare dirt again. As long as you have air flow you should be fine, if it isnt working for you try hay or wood chips down the road. Any setup you have can always be changed later if it isnt working for you, which is nice.

Don't over think it to much. shelter, hay, loose minerals, and occasional grain if you are breeding....thats it. You can make a fast hay feeder out of the cut off part of the cow panel if you need one just for sheep. We have done it many times and it works out great. Tons of hay feeder ideas on google just look for DIY sheep hay feeder if you need ideas.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you only have the three and you are only looking at nightime lock up, get 1 panel, bend it in half, and make an 8x8 pen in the corner. put some shavings down and some straw on top... then you can take and shovel out the wet straw and shavings that will collect any pee.... It will keep them cleaner to have the straw on top... or if you are wanting to shear them for the wool, then just use straw a little deeper. But the shavings underneath will collect the moisture better than the straw, that will filter the pee through it more. Make sure the doors and all are predator proof so no cougars can get in. And SHOOT any that are harassing the livestock. Don't know CA laws... you can practice SSS if necessary to protect your livestock and no one the wiser.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I deep litter my sheep with waste hay. We park a round bale with cow panel sections on 3 sides and a hog panel section on one side because our ram’s head won’t fit through a cow panel hole. We haven’t cleaned it out yet, since we had 100 year record breaking cold last winter, I put down lots of hay. It’s rained nearly ever since, LOL. We spread it in the garden or on the pastures.