Wish me luck! First time goat mid wife.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So yesterday I picked up my two new does (and so many chickens!) from Roll Farms. One is the dam of her quads, the second is her sister. Sister we where thinking was probably not bred. Yesterday she went from nothing to big old udder already leaking clear fluid. :ep Roll Farms needed the stall space so the husband and I figured, alright we will take her home anyways and hope for the best. I was expecting to do my first kidding out in May so doing it in the next few days is a bit of a shock.

Last night Martha (the doe) had soft but defined tail ligs. Normal top line, and a large but still sloshy udder. Lips where still closed tight with no discharge. I just came in from checking on her this morning. That udder is tight, she is much more arched over the top and starting to sink in. I could not feel ligs but she was squirming. She also was making mournful lolling sounds like a cow instead of the goat sounds she made last night. I could not get a look at her hind end close enough to make any judgment other then she was not actively dripping anything. She also squatted a few times but did not pee. I had my hands on her and she definitely is not in active labor but I am putting her on solid watch now. Once I have my husband helper up and a bit more light I will go out and take some pics and get a better look.

ETA: Oh ya Thundersnow tonight. So we all know what crazy go nuts weather means!

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Crazy exciting!!! Get your birthing kit ready! Hope all goes smooth and you enjoy the experience.

Will be waiting for pics!!!

Btw, any hopes for certain sexes?

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want boys. I need wethers. Roll Farm wants girls (she gets to keep any of those) so some one is going to be happy :D.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So colostrum is almost in. She has thick, pearl colored and VERY sticky milk. Not all the way thick yet I think but it was clear yesterday evening.

CAUTION EMINENT GOAT VAGINAS!
So this is last night
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/65985_10151241096760404_1118426020_n.jpg

This is this morning.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/377617_10151241097475404_627379953_n.jpg

Not a dramatic change but everything is much floppier and softer. Her hind in has sunk in around her hip bones and everything is noticeably more flushed and puffy.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is very exciting. You have some goats from Roll Farms. I met them when i was there to pick up Trip. I am sure you will be most happy. Are you milking the mother of the quads?