Withholding feed?

Suzy74

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you all withhold feed before processing? Or does that just stress the rabbits?
Also I'd love any tips to reducing stress during transport. We are taking our rabbits to a professional processor so that we can sell them to the public and it's a two-hour drive. Thanks!

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I personally don't withhold food a day before I dispatch my rabbits. I have before just to test out any differences and never found any so I figured I'd continue to feed them till the end.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I have withheld food a day before processing, they got diarrhea, so nope. Not doing that again. They were stressed out and it made it much harder to process. If they eat right up to D-day, the pellets are formed and normal, and much easier to process.

Idk how to avoid stress when travelling. Mine get nervous any time they get into carrying cages.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I had rabbits, 12hrs or so no food, no issue. I usually gave them some hay, no water 6hrs before. The bladder I had the most issue with when full, but washed out and was fine. Only a little hay meant far less stuffed stomach, which made it generally easier to gut them. Poop pellets in the intestines was no issue.