1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Wolfemomma - Our Homestead Journey

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by WolfeMomma, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Aug 10, 2017
    WolfeMomma

WolfeMomma Loving the herd life

This is our story.

We have always wanted to have a farm, being somewhat self sufficient has been a dream of ours since we got married. Once the husband retired from the military we figured this is the best time to do it. We searched and searched, and finally found a spot to put down some roots, this was it. This was home.
    Things have moved pretty fast since then, purchased a barn for the property, had that installed. Fencing is put up, and the animals we be on their way to our home stead next week! To say I'm excited is an understatement.

We are expecting 2 Katahdin ews and one beef steer. Raising our own beef is very important to us. We would like to have more cows in the future, but right now this is more then enough to start off with :)

Most of my days are filled up with watching our 3 boys....and picking berries. Our black berry bushes are going crazy right now, I can't wait for some homemade jam and pies to enjoy throughout the winter!
    I think the raspberries are pretty much done sadly, they are my favorite. While on the topic of berries, we found some beautiful blue berry patches in our back pasture, I made muffins with them....they were delicious!
    Looking forward to our buff hens to start laying....we go through eggs like crazy in this house between my husband, 3 growing boys and my baking ....they are a hot commodity!
    Stay tuned ......I will write again and let everyone know how it went with our steer and sheep :) wish us luck!

2. Aug 10, 2017
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

Welcome :frowglad you joined us! Lots of great and helpful people on here. Berry jam is yummy- we were able to make raspberry jam from the berries in our patch this year!

SA Farm and CntryBoy777 like this.
  3. Aug 10, 2017
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I'm looking forward to following your journey. There are quite a number of hair sheep growers on the forum.

4. Aug 10, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

Welcome from NC
    First thing
    You need some dairy goats :)

Second raising a Steer is a great way to test out cattle
    Just picked up TBone and Ribeye from the slaughterhouse

Third for the future
    Buying a couple of feeder pigs and raising them is probably the easiest most cost efficient meat you can produce ( that is if you like pork )

5. Aug 10, 2017
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

Welcome from VA. You may not know this but we always LOVE pics! :p Since you have animals coming & a new barn, farm and all that -- well, we are here :caf

And, yes, this forum has info for just about anything you may need. Really. Some real pros who love to share.

SA Farm likes this.
  6. Aug 10, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

X2
    Bring on the pics

SA Farm likes this.
  7. Aug 10, 2017
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

There are many that have traveled, are traveling, and soon to travel that road with ya. So, you are amongst a group that can assist, advise, and support you along your journey and with each adventure. Also, each person has a time that they just need to "Vent" or complain....this is your "Journal" and is available for you to post on as ya wish....we all do, as ya will find out as ya read others "Journal Threads".....you are not alone in the road ahead.....we are a "Herd" and as such, there are shared experiences, shared positions, and a "Kick in the Rump" to get ya moving down the road. Welcome!!....and make yourself right at "Home"....cause ya are....:)

SA Farm and Hens and Roos like this.
  8. Aug 11, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Where abouts in northern Maine are you? I spent ~10 years in the Bath/Brunswick area in VP squadrons (NAS Brunswick ME). Also retired military. Glad to have you with us! and oh yes... pics are always appreciated!

9. Aug 11, 2017
    goats&moregoats

goats&moregoats True BYH Addict

Welcome. Here you will find friendly people, much advice and very knowledgeable farmers. Good luck with your homestead. Pictures are much appreciated as we love cute animals and also love to watch people grow in there homesteads.

10. Aug 13, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Good luck with everything. Yes, we love pictures, so be sure to post lots of them!