Wolfemomma - Our Homestead Journey

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is our story.

We have always wanted to have a farm, being somewhat self sufficient has been a dream of ours since we got married. Once the husband retired from the military we figured this is the best time to do it. We searched and searched, and finally found a spot to put down some roots, this was it. This was home.
Things have moved pretty fast since then, purchased a barn for the property, had that installed. Fencing is put up, and the animals we be on their way to our home stead next week! To say I'm excited is an understatement.

We are expecting 2 Katahdin ews and one beef steer. Raising our own beef is very important to us. We would like to have more cows in the future, but right now this is more then enough to start off with :)

Most of my days are filled up with watching our 3 boys....and picking berries. Our black berry bushes are going crazy right now, I can't wait for some homemade jam and pies to enjoy throughout the winter!
I think the raspberries are pretty much done sadly, they are my favorite. While on the topic of berries, we found some beautiful blue berry patches in our back pasture, I made muffins with them....they were delicious!
Looking forward to our buff hens to start laying....we go through eggs like crazy in this house between my husband, 3 growing boys and my baking ....they are a hot commodity!
Stay tuned ......I will write again and let everyone know how it went with our steer and sheep :) wish us luck!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NC
First thing
You need some dairy goats :)

Second raising a Steer is a great way to test out cattle
Just picked up TBone and Ribeye from the slaughterhouse

Third for the future
Buying a couple of feeder pigs and raising them is probably the easiest most cost efficient meat you can produce ( that is if you like pork )

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. You may not know this but we always LOVE pics! :p Since you have animals coming & a new barn, farm and all that -- well, we are here :caf

And, yes, this forum has info for just about anything you may need. Really. Some real pros who love to share.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. You may not know this but we always LOVE pics! :p Since you have animals coming & a new barn, farm and all that -- well, we are here :caf

And, yes, this forum has info for just about anything you may need. Really. Some real pros who love to share.
X2
Bring on the pics

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are many that have traveled, are traveling, and soon to travel that road with ya. So, you are amongst a group that can assist, advise, and support you along your journey and with each adventure. Also, each person has a time that they just need to "Vent" or complain....this is your "Journal" and is available for you to post on as ya wish....we all do, as ya will find out as ya read others "Journal Threads".....you are not alone in the road ahead.....we are a "Herd" and as such, there are shared experiences, shared positions, and a "Kick in the Rump" to get ya moving down the road. Welcome!!....and make yourself right at "Home"....cause ya are....:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Where abouts in northern Maine are you? I spent ~10 years in the Bath/Brunswick area in VP squadrons (NAS Brunswick ME). Also retired military. Glad to have you with us! and oh yes... pics are always appreciated!

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome. Here you will find friendly people, much advice and very knowledgeable farmers. Good luck with your homestead. Pictures are much appreciated as we love cute animals and also love to watch people grow in there homesteads.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good luck with everything. Yes, we love pictures, so be sure to post lots of them!

Latest posts