Wolfemomma - Our Homestead Journey

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the Big E showing. It is great that you got some advise and hopefully, made some good contacts and some friends in the deal. One of the cattle breeders on another forum I go on, had Champion in the beef animals. They raise Simmentals, had Champ cow and calf... a red Simm cow and her very impressive red w white face bull calf.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on the Big E showing. It is great that you got some advise and hopefully, made some good contacts and some friends in the deal. One of the cattle breeders on another forum I go on, had Champion in the beef animals. They raise Simmentals, had Champ cow and calf... a red Simm cow and her very impressive red w white face bull calf.
Thats awesome, I didnt have much of a chance to watch the beef shows, I wish I did though. I enjoy cattle. I heard the beef prices where pretty low, someone mentioned that the campion steer went for only 700$

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My middle son wants to show shetlands....anyone on here raise those? I joined a couple groups on facebook and have connected with some good people that can help me get my hands on some show lambs for him. He doesn't like our Katahdins, I think they are a bit high strung and strong for him which is fine, me and my oldest will still show and breed them. He finds the little guys easier to deal with. I told him he can try a couple lol o_O

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beef prices are not good at all. I am not surprised at the price for the steer. The exhibitor that had the champion cow and calf pair is purebred, I think they had breed shows there. She already had a contract to sell the bull calf, and now that he is done with his current show career, she was going to wean him as soon as they got home ( in NY state) and then he would be going to his new home before winter.
Hey, if he likes shetland sheep, all the better. He can have his "day of fame" with his own breed, his size, and not compete with the family. Sometimes that is better. Just remember, they are wool sheep and need to be sheared, not like the Katahdins.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nothing new going on here, just getting ready for winter. Making sure we have enough wood and fuel to make it through. Still need to get some 2nd cut hay, I was told that it was better to feed that to my pregnant ewes and growing ram. I have 1st cut but I figure why not throw some 2nd in there as well as long as there is room. Going to have the vet out in a week or two, so that we can confirm if they are pregnant or not. Im hoping they are....I don't want march and april lambs. I would prefer Feb and Jan for show purposes. I am so looking forward to getting shetlands, so is my son. He is excited for some sheep that he can show since he refuses to deal with the katahdins :rolleyes: From what I gather there are some people around us that do shearing .....I will definitely be contacting them. School still seems to be going good, Keeps me busy thats for sure. :caf

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Still on the hunt for brood ewes. I have found a couple farms that offer some ewes that are along the lines of what im looking for, but oh my gosh, I wish we could find someone closer than 10+ hours away:he
We have been rolling around the idea of getting one of those aluminum stock boxes for the back of the truck. I think it would work great when we only have to pick up a couple of sheep because hauling a huge 6000lb trailer to pick up two sheep is not fun and a total waste of gas lol Hubbys truck is higher than most trucks, so they would definitely need a ramp to get up there:lol:
In other news, I will have to make sure I try and get some fall pictures posted. The leaves are beautiful right now.
We went to bar harbor yesterday, we always love going to the coast. its such a beautiful drive. Although the amount of tourists drives me crazy ...took almost an hour to find parking o_O
barharbor2.jpg

barharbor.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went to bar harbor yesterday, we always love going to the coast. its such a beautiful drive. Although the amount of tourists drives me crazy ...took almost an hour to find parking o_O
Go in January, I bet there are a lot less tourists then ;)
The daughter of one of the Farmer's Market vendors moved to Bar Harbor about mid August. I think she's working as a waitress. Maybe you saw her, mid 20's, thin, fairly tall, light red hair?? OK, maybe not, I don't even know her name.

Nice looking sheep!