Wolfemomma - Our Homestead Journey

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I dont know why I didn't think of using a sled before....I wonder if hubby would let me use his heavy duty one that we mainly use for hay....🤔
Don't know why not, it isn't like you are going to damage it and using it for more things is just good sense.

Those of you in no snow areas: sleds slide on grass too.

When necessary I shovel a path down to the barn, better than breaking out the snowshoes until it melts. Of course I only have maybe 100' to go from the house to barn.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The kid sled or the Otter? I only have an old plastic kid sled, I can manage two 50# bags of feed at a time. And it is down hill from the parking area ;) Tows quite a bit harder down the barn alley.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Usually Hubby makes a path around the barn , to the manure pile with the snow blower. But of course one of the tracks broke on the snow blower. I hate saying this, but I hope it gets colder. It makes the snow much harder and easier to walk through :hu
I have tried dragging a sled on grass once, .....much to hard for me with hay stacked in it lol. When we dont have snow i use a dolly and bring bales from the garage over to the barn. Works great and i can carry about 3 bales at a time, if i need more then that I just use the ATV and little trailer for it.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We do the snowblower path to the manure dump also. You're right though, unless the snow is nice and hard it's a lot of work with a wheelbarrow. The sled just glides even when it's slushy.
The in-between seasons are the most trouble, when it's patchy snow, or deep mud. Neither the sled or the wheelbarrow are much fun then.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
But of course one of the tracks broke on the snow blower.
So you can only make a circular path?? That would be a bit of a problem ;)

I managed 3 bags on the sled today, twice. Have to remember that in the winter it is safer to "drag" the sled down the hill from behind. Gets up a good head of steam downhill on snow, easy to get your feet taken out from behind.

The chickens got extra scratch today. I thought I could get the entire 50# in the can with the small amount that was left. WRONG! I stopped before it overflowed but not before there was a peaked hill above the edge of the can, no way to put the lid on without returning some to the bag. Kinda messy doing that but they weren't complaining.

Latest posts