Wolfemomma - Our Homestead Journey

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@secuono Those are adorable!! I bought some felt ones from premier one, but would really like to try and make my own one day. I saw someone make them out of old sweaters from good will. Such a good idea.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Or knit some using yarn from @secuono, she has a lot :) What could be warmer than a wool and alpaca sweater?

Because you are a masochist??
:lol: Nope. just trying to get some extra classes done before I attempt to bring my kids home to school them next year. Public school isn't going so great for us.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry public schools isn't working out. I guess with extra classes and lambing at the same time, you are prepping for the extra workload with home schooling ;) Have you researched and chosen a program yet?

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry public schools isn't working out. I guess with extra classes and lambing at the same time, you are prepping for the extra workload with home schooling ;) Have you researched and chosen a program yet?
We have done quite a bit of research in regards to the laws, requirements, and regulations in our state. We are still looking at all the different curriculums, there is just so much to choose from. Its hard to know which one will work the best for us.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
The choices are vast these days. Sounds like you are doing your due diligence, I applaud you. I'm sure you already know this, but if you have friends that homeschool you can get a feel for curriculum from their experience, and there are also curriculum fairs that you can attend and get your hands and eyes on their products.
Of course I don't know what your local accessibility is for curriculum fairs, but it was helpful to me to see and talk to the representatives about their curriculum's scope and sequence. My kids were very hands on learners and I tried to allow that as much as possible.

If I had it to do over again I would take advantage of a co-op arrangement, where we met a couple times a month.
I would do it (homeschool) again in a nano second. I loved it, loved being in the company of my kids and watching them grow and learn, and the freedom it gave us as well as the control over what idealogies were put into their heads.

Best wishes for your own studies as well. You seem like a very organized person, with an excellent work ethic and I think homeschooling will suit you well.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have done quite a bit of research in regards to the laws, requirements, and regulations in our state. We are still looking at all the different curriculums, there is just so much to choose from. Its hard to know which one will work the best for us.
DD1 did 7th and 8th grade with Oak Meadow. Seemed pretty good overall but frankly a foreign language by mail and audio CDs just doesn't cut it.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The choices are vast these days. Sounds like you are doing your due diligence, I applaud you. I'm sure you already know this, but if you have friends that homeschool you can get a feel for curriculum from their experience, and there are also curriculum fairs that you can attend and get your hands and eyes on their products.
Of course I don't know what your local accessibility is for curriculum fairs, but it was helpful to me to see and talk to the representatives about their curriculum's scope and sequence. My kids were very hands on learners and I tried to allow that as much as possible.

If I had it to do over again I would take advantage of a co-op arrangement, where we met a couple times a month.
I would do it (homeschool) again in a nano second. I loved it, loved being in the company of my kids and watching them grow and learn, and the freedom it gave us as well as the control over what idealogies were put into their heads.

Best wishes for your own studies as well. You seem like a very organized person, with an excellent work ethic and I think homeschooling will suit you well.
Thank you for the advice :) There is a big homeschool conference in our state every may ( i think) So we are hopefully going to try and go to it. They also have a big used curriculum sale about an hour from us. I have met one homeschool family. The mother was more then willing to talk about how much she loved it. She gave us some really good advice, i added her on facebook So that i can talk to her if needed . We can't help but feel nervous. But I think its for the best.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our daughter was in and out of private school, went to college at 16, got her bachelors degree at 19, 2 masters degrees at 22. Public school ain’t for everybody. I worked too much to home school. Good for you and your family.